Underwater Videography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jazz

Reaction score
Does any one do videography underwater?

I am using a Panasonic GS30 DV Camera and wondering if anyone has used about the same range to shoot videos? I am keen to find out if it's worth the money to get a housing since I am going on a trip soon. I am not even sure if there is one.

Jazz

I am not sure about your specific camcorder, but speaking from experience, I am selling my complete setup; camcorder, housing, lights etc....because I dont use them enough..about twice a year.

I think I have a great setup, but cost vs use is just not there....

Something to think about...

Jason

and I dive a LOT around here.

No, its not the Caribbean, but by God, the camera has replaced the speargun as my primary "accessory" underwater!

So I'd say try it before you spend a LOT of money - perhaps get an UW still system that can do UW video, and see which you prefer (if any!) before you plunk down the money.

That was what I did, and now I have an UW housing on the way for my TRV-33...

Wish I knew about Jep's deal beforehand, particularly if he would split off the housing - oh well :)

Looks like its gonna sell though - that's good to see! :)

Although I don't dive as much as I would like (somewhere between 2 and 5 trips per year), I have always wanted to share the amazing sights I see with friends and family. I did this just recently with a trip to the Caymans. I will be sending copies to almost everyone that dove with me that week.

Anyway the footage came out great and as the old saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words". I now have my nephew interested in trying out SCUBA.

I used a Sony TRV-70 (I couldn't find any info on the Panasonic you described, so I don't know how it compares) and a housing made by "Undersea Video Housings(USVH.com)" (very easy to use, operate and maintain) and no artificial lighting (just a filter). It's a bit pricey but I considered it worth it. Took me about three months of shopping to figure out what I wanted.

If you're not sure about spending that kind of cash there seem to be more and more dive shops willing to let you rent gear. On the Cayman trip I described I dove with an outfit called FishEye that does rent photo and video equipment(unfortunately they do not currently have any by Undersea.

Every time I watch the tape it's like taking a mini trip to the Caymans....still not sure why I came home.

:peek:
Jeff

Well, with the number of dives I am planning to make a year, it's probably not worth it. But still I like photography and tend to like to archive things for when I get old and cannot dive anymore.

We'll see

However, even with the relatively few dives I do where I bring my camera, it still worth it to me. One of my favorite is a Nurse Shark Feeding in Coz 2003. YMMV

Otter

Beautiful stuff Otter (how do you set that up as a post?)

Otter just demonstrated what I was talking about....I don't think words could do that scene justice.

Thanks for sharing Otter.
:peek:
Jeff

Hi Otter,

What DV camera did you use?
My guess is that you didn't use any extra lightings is that right?

How much did you pay for your housing?
You're getting me inspired!!!

jazz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom