Underwater Tripod.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyHeap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
who has played with underwater tripods, neg buoyant, I want this thing rigid on the bottom...........I've got some cool 60 minute 360 degree kitchen timer time lapse rotary pans ON the reef ideas in mind, night and day dives. Night dive what a rush, leave your camera on the bottom and see what swims by............he heh.

so, if you had to anchor a GoPro for say an hour?

what is neg buoyant, or you can strap some lead or beach rocks to........? I'm not counting on a wreck railing mount, so out in nature, nor wanting to strap it to a reef, but neg buoyant on the bottom. Friggin aye it's a gopro, I'm not expecting National Geographic $500-800, or 1000'S++++ gyrocam mounts. amazing how cheap these are.

These seem the ticket, Divers, I'm listening................thoughts / experience on these arms? Yes the GoPros expand your mind for what is possible. GRINS :D

L Black Large Octopus Flexible Tripod Stand Gorillapod For DV Camera SLR ZOOM | eBay

New Blue Medium Flexible Tripod Gorillapod for DV Video Camera | eBay

Gorilla Pod Camera Tripod Flexible Octopus Bubble New | eBay

Grins, great minds think alike Ron.

I've got many 2 pound hard lead weights in my "dive locker", and could easily carry three of them in my carry-on bag (gopro) and zip tie 3 to the tripod legs.................wonder if TSA would consider them a "club like item",

Scuba + Baggage weight limits = major suck factor. sigh. I carry a digital hanging scale with me, and have impressed many many baggage check clerks with bags right at 49.8, 48.5, 49.9 pounds with a 50 pound limit.

Lead weights and an adhesive GoPro mount works quite well, I have done some basic shots using the SRP tray which has the advantage of lifting the camera up a little but this still needs to either be buried in the sand or weighted down with some lead to keep it still with any surge or currents.

Ive seen a very cool underwater timelapse a friend of mine shot using a gopro, not sure if he had it on the tray or what will need to ask but the results are quite surprising.

[video=youtube;d-P_Sn7JVZc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-P_Sn7JVZc[/video]

Last edited:
Grins, great minds think alike Ron.

I've got many 2 pound hard lead weights in my "dive locker", and could easily carry three of them in my carry-on bag (gopro) and zip tie 3 to the tripod legs.................wonder if TSA would consider them a "club like item",

Scuba + Baggage weight limits = major suck factor. sigh. I carry a digital hanging scale with me, and have impressed many many baggage check clerks with bags right at 49.8, 48.5, 49.9 pounds with a 50 pound limit.

Most likely you can get weights at your dive destination and not have to bother bringing your own.

Depending on which tripod you use, it might be easier to hang the weights directly under the camera.

Attachments

• tripod weighting.jpg
    tripod weighting.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,314
A three to five pound lead weight and the helmet mount from GoPro work great. Simply thread the helmet mount trough the weight and boom goes the dynamite. Yes, that phrase made no sense but I wanted to use it.

I you want lighting, I have a dual light tray that gets zipped tied to two three pound weights. Works great as well. I can not say I have tried this on a reef, but it held up to the flow in Ginnie Springs. The helmet mount setup I have used on the sand near a coral head though.

I had a cheap, $19 aluminum that has done well for years . . . until the plasticy bits broke. :(

Simply and boom goes the dynamite. Yes, that phrase made no sense but I wanted to use it.

I you want lighting, ................

grins, thanks for the smile JK, "I scream you scream we all scream for ice-cream".............errrrrrrrrrr...........lighting...........yah that's it, "we all scream for lighting"............Yes, that phrase made no sense but I wanted to use it............double grins.

cheers, would love to have you guide me through a spring some day. Will have to keep the helmet mount in mind.

I'm thinking of sacrificing a 360 degree, 60 minute kitchen timer, to the reef gods, to spin the 0-60 minutes 360 degrees while anchored via tripod in a 10-12 foot deep snorkle/dive lagoon in Hawaii. I'll rinse/soak the timer in fresh water, and might get a couple dives out of it, but want to experiment and will donate it to the dive gods if they desire a sacrifice.

Meanwhile, me thinks Ice-cream after dinner tonight.

thanks for sharing.

ULCS ball screwed into a weight. I use this for videoing classes in the pool & OW.

GoProWeight.jpg

All the best, James

I like it!!!!! I am going to set up a few of these so I can aim the camera better and place it in corners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom