UnderWater Tripod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ocrmaster:
Is there such a thing as a UnderWater Tripod?

The vidiot on the Kona Aggressor used one.

They're essentially three really long ball-end arms with a special center section that sort of holds them in place, with a threaded post to fit the bottom of the cam.

She used it for stadic shots and b-roll stuff mostly. Slow pans, etc. She also used it to White Balance every time she hit the water.

---
Ken

60447741.DSC_8058a.jpg

60447776.DSC_8059a.jpg

You also see something called a framer periodically on ebay in the Nikonos stuff. Kind of a base for doing macros, I think.

I met someone who just used a few 'land' tripods underwater (apparently they dont last that long and corrode quite fast!) He ended up having to drill holes in the legs of the tripod, otherwize water suction (or whatever) prevented the legs from telescoping / extending underwater.

The tripod being used in the pictures is a Technical Lighting Control tripod and arms.

I am also looking for the tripod that will be used for the local quarry platform. Yes, it is a fresh water, not salt water.

How about the aluminum tripod? Do you think it will be rust eventually?

Tri pods have been used in UW photgaphy since the Williamsons took their "2000 leagues under the sea" in 1900. John D Craig used a tripod in his 1938 book "Danger is my business" and others throug the years followed in using a tri-pod.

I used a 3/8 (I recall that is correct size-but check!) bolt welded to the top of a huge dive knife. I would thrust it into the sand or reef (good heavens!) with the camera attached to the knife.
Focus the camera, place finger on camera triger, lay motion-less and wait for the exact moment.
Has limited uses but like a parachute when you need it you need it--certainly worth welding a nut on to your BIG knife and having it handy just in case.

One never knows!

SDM

I would think it will make your shots steadier so that you can shoot at a slower speed and hold steady for macro. one thing you might consider is a monopod just a thought.

Actually, what I am planing is for a video recording, not a still image.

So, set up the tripod and video housing to shoot the divers on the platform. Yes, it will be something like a skill test recording like DIR folks used to do during the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom