Underwater tools: wrench, screwdriver, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone recommend tools like wrenches or screwdrivers that can be taken underwater, and won't go all rusty after a couple of dives. I'm looking for something that can be submerged for hours at a time, not just get wet while in a dry bag, once in a blue moon. Thanks!

Any good stainless steel would work.. But lots of cash... I always used craftsman screw drivers and chromed wrench sets.. Normal pipe wrench and hammers, Crow bars... You can make a nice stainless steel pry bar from a piece of round stock.... I always had a bucket of freshwater to throw them in.. And a bucket of oil at the house... They don't rust underwater.. It's when you get them out that sucks...

Jim...

What do you need them for?

Silly things, like for example... on the next dive, I may want to adjust the worm clamp on my deco bottle to move the attachment up or down or shorten it. It would be great if I didn't have to end the dive to do that, and could just pull out a screwdriver out of my pocket and get it done in 3 minutes. I guess I can do that with any regular screwdriver if it's just this one time, but it's not the first time the thought crossed my mind that having a small screwdriver and a wrench on a bolt snap in my pocket would've been handy. I've seen someone recently carrying a dive wrench, but forgot to ask where they got it from.

McMaster-Carr Stainless screwdrivers McMaster-Carr Stainless wrenches

Thanks. I clicked around and it didn't explain how stainless they are. What grade of steel does it need to be? I've seen the number 316 here and there. Is that the number I'm looking for?

I've seen that used in dive knives.. I am no expert. I ended up just getting the cheapest regular steel tools I could find. I think I got a set of wrenches for under $10 from harbor freight. I replace them when they start to show signs of rust. I don't take mine underwater, though. They're part of my save-a-dive kit that I take on boats or in the car when I go diving.

Try to score a SeaSpanner (good luck finding one, and prepare to feel it in your bank account if you do) and that XS Scuba multi-tool. I carry those two plus assorted orings in a little baggie in my wetnotes.

Try to score a SeaSpanner (good luck finding one, and prepare to feel it in your bank account if you do) and that XS Scuba multi-tool. I carry those two plus assorted orings in a little baggie in my wetnotes.
A wrench that has a built in bottle opener? Pure genius!

Back
Top Bottom