Underwater Pumpkin Carving Tips and Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuit 4 life

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good afternoon everybody

Since this is the pumpkin craving season I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips that could make this the best pumpkin carving season ever.

Thanks

Clean out as much of the "guts" as you can - the seeds and as much of the walls of the pumpkin as possible. Thinner walls are much easier to carve.

Draw patterns in advance and use a thin knife.

Tips such as:
1) Drop a lead weight with a GooTube in the hollowed out beauty to keep it on the bottom and lit.
2) Attach a couple feet of surgical tubing to each of the "standard" tools and tie them all off to a 1lb fishing weight... this way you can just grab what I need and not worry about them floating away.

Overweight yourself a bit, you will be breathing quite heavy and you want to be planted firmly on the bottom. I just took some extra weights down with me to hold my stuff on the bottom. Use a good serrated knife. I liked to practice above the surface before doing one underwater. That way I already know what I want to do and the best way of getting to the final design. :)

GOOD LUCK!
Carolyn:shark2:

Like Codiak said... those orange gourds float like corks.

Greetings Wetsuit 4 Life and remember that pumpkins are very buoyant so choose a right sized one according to your carving plan.
Depending on the rules, guts in or guts out, what tools are legal, how many classes will there be, etc. you can form a plan and how to get it done.
BE VERY CAREFUL, for the last two years in a row I end up cutting myself somewhere.
Not bad but annoying!

Bring duck tape, 3/8's nylon or some other line to secure the pumpkin if you have to take it guts in. Make sure you figure enough lead to keep it down.
Next just have fun, it can be a blast but remember to be very careful.

CamG keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Sharpen your knife and wear Kevlar gloves.

A game bag works great for keeping the pumpkin with you during your surface swim and descent.

A cut off steak knife works great and does not leave as many chances to puncture your dry gloves. The special safety carving knives for kids work well too.

Have your drawing planned out and make sure yours is the best so you win BIG prizes.

As said above a weight for inside the pumpkin helps keep it from rapidly floating up once you cut into it.

Performing the carving feat in trim is much harder! Hmmm...maybe doubles have a purpose here? Kneeling works if the bottom is not muck. Otherwise vis will go to nothing. I wound up finding a barren rock and grabbing it with my knees to hold myself in place as I worked. (Note to self wear CF200 when pumpkin carving not Fusion).

Most importantly have fun and be safe!

A game bag works great for keeping the pumpkin with you during your surface swim and descent.

A cut off steak knife works great and does not leave as many chances to puncture your dry gloves. The special safety carving knives for kids work well too.

Have your drawing planned out and make sure yours is the best so you win BIG prizes.
As said above a weight for inside the pumpkin helps keep it from rapidly floating up once you cut into it.

Performing the carving feat in trim is much harder! Hmmm...maybe doubles have a purpose here? Kneeling works if the bottom is not muck. Otherwise vis will go to nothing. I wound up finding a barren rock and grabbing it with my knees to hold myself in place as I worked. (Note to self wear CF200 when pumpkin carving not Fusion).

Most importantly have fun and be safe!

Don't be surprized if people come back up with these amazingly carved pumpkins in 25 minutes with only a big pig sticker for a knive. I think they arte stashing them the night before.

Think where your hands are when you stick that knife in. Almost stuck my son when we were working on a pumpkin together. Guess the scuba gods were smiling because I think the wife would have revoked my being his dive buddy if I had skewered him. :dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom