Underwater Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpings

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey ya'll,
I was looking to take something with me on my next dive trip because I am tired of not being able to take pictures of my underwater experience. I really don't have the money or the desire to buy a 800+ dollar camera though. I remember seeing a waterproof case for a regular digital camera in a magazine awhile back for less than 100 dollars and was wondering if anyone has had experience with one of those and what they thought of the picture quality. Any other suggestions?

I have an Intova IC600 and am very happy with it. It appears that they may have discontinued it but the IC 800 is still available for under $200. I will say that the flash is not very bright and you may want an extra lights if you don't have direct ambient lighting. Here are a couple shot I took at Gennie Springs. It didn't do too badly at video either.

That being said, I would like to get a more serious camera, but I am defiantly going to take full advantage of learning what I can on this inexpensive model first.

I'll second what kb8lxc said. I have an old Canon SD630 camera with it's WP DC-3 underwater housing and I've got framed pictures up all over my apartment. You can really get solid pictures, but I would strongly recommend taking the time to read up on techniques and approaches. This site has some good info, I'm sure other people will have more.

Underwater Photography Guide

If you're curious as to what shots with just a regular old housing look like the link in my signature are my shots.

rent a camera and strobe at the place you are going to..It would be a better camera than what you would most likely buy and the people you rent it from will most likely give you a few suggestions that will help.Be sure to rent a strobe with the camera.Makes all the difference..
That said ,if you do get into uw photo you need to get your own camera and strobe so that you would know all the bells and whistles of your own particular system and realize what it can and cannot do for best results.

If you already have your own camera most major companies; Sony, Canon, Olympus, have their own custom housings that fit specific camera models. There are also other general brands; Ikelite, Fantasea, for different camera models. These custom-fit cases are bulky and fairly expensive. Then there are the generic cases and camera sleeves that are more compact and easy to travel with. Both are flimsy and don't offer the camera structural protetion. The sleeves work best with none-zoom cameras and both have a smaller max depth than the custom-fit cases. You also can buy a new camera with housing for as low as $200. Hope this helps! Let me know if I can help you further.

Thanks everyone! I think I will look into either a custom fit housing for my camera or see about renting one when I get there. I have an Olympus Stylus that is water resistant up to 10', but that's only good for messing around at the beach or the pool.

Hey ya'll,
I was looking to take something with me on my next dive trip because I am tired of not being able to take pictures of my underwater experience. I really don't have the money or the desire to buy a 800+ dollar camera though. I remember seeing a waterproof case for a regular digital camera in a magazine awhile back for less than 100 dollars and was wondering if anyone has had experience with one of those and what they thought of the picture quality. Any other suggestions?

Olympus Refurbished FE-360 Digital Camera & Housing combo

Go there. The camera is a refurb and package includes the case. Both got very very good reviews from Backscatter for a low end but decent quality underwater camera setup.

HM

I've had good success with a Nikon 3200 Coolpix with a Fantasea Housing, and a Sealife Universal strobe made the pictures really nice.

I recently upgraded to a higher end camera and purchased a new housing for it.

I'm selling the Coolpix 3200 (there are 2 cameras) and the housing on Ebay, starting bid is under $30 bucks for the whole thing. It doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Here's the LINK to the auction if you're interested.

What stylus camera do you have? Olympus makes housings for theirs that are pretty nice.

I have the new FE-3010/PT-046 combo for only $279, plus a free float strap if you mention you're a SB member. 12MP, uw modes, small easy to use.

Jack

Last edited:
Best sub $100.00 deal = Vivitar 6200W. NOT the vivitar 8200. That is an entirely diferent camera. The 6200W is the one you want. Same as Sea Life Ecco shot. Works with Sea Life wide angle lens. See attached.

Attachments

• DSCN0034.jpg
    DSCN0034.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 320
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom