underwater photography and neptune mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nurumkin

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am starting to get back into diving now that I live near lake superior and would like to purchase a set of neptune full face masks for my wife and I. I tried one when they first came out but didn't buy it because I couldn't look through the viewfinder of my SLR housing because of the shape of it. I am assuming that the shame of the modern neptunes hasn't changed much so my question would be; is there anything (either an attachment or a special type of housing) that will allow me to use my neptune with a slr. I am going to be buying a new camera and housing this year anyway.

Many mfgs make Viewfinders for their cameras. http://www.backscatter.com/sku/aq-20054.lasso I use one from my Aquatica. It gives you a full view of the frame where some viewfinders crop what you are shooting. I find the viewfinder useful when shooting a AGA Mask. They can be $1000 or more but about the only option over shooting in Live View which still has issues in most DSLR models.

You could always rig up a periscope that mounts on the eye piece and gives you a 3 inch viewing "screen". It would be difficult to adjust to, but I'm sure it would work. a small mirror mounted in a tube with a larger mirror at the top of the tube... It would be an elegant and inexpensive solution.

my LDS showed me the extensions but I'm not sure I want to spend that much right now (i'm basically rebuilding all of our gear after coming back to the sport) because I still need a new housing as my last one was still film. So when you add 2 neptune masks with communications (2500)+ a new housing with strobes and the extender (4-5k) I think I may just buy a nice P&S for now. We are planning on retiring in 10-12 years and doing a lot more diving. I will probably invest in a better camera then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom