Underwater Photography - A full contact sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangeBloke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So is underwater photography a full contact sport? I ask as I've more than once had other divers trying to push their way past me to get at the subject which, unless it's a piece of coral or a rock, usually ends up swimming, crawling or sliding away. Either that or the interloper kicks up so much sand there's no point in taking the shot anymore.

It's not so bad when I know the people I'm diving with, there's a usually healthy respect for space in those situations, but it's when there are strangers about that the problems usually start.

Other than taking the James Bond approach of donning a yellow wet suit and taking a knife to their air hose, how do you deal with people like this?

orangeBloke:
So is underwater photography a full contact sport? I ask as I've more than once had other divers trying to push their way past me to get at the subject which, unless it's a piece of coral or a rock, usually ends up swimming, crawling or sliding away. Either that or the interloper kicks up so much sand there's no point in taking the shot anymore.

It's not so bad when I know the people I'm diving with, there's a usually healthy respect for space in those situations, but it's when there are strangers about that the problems usually start.

Other than taking the James Bond approach of donning a yellow wet suit and taking a knife to their air hose, how do you deal with people like this?

The only problem I ever had was with a believe it or not a professional ? videographer in Grand Cayman. This woman was all over me. At one point I was descending into a gully horizontal and crosswise to the gully, my wife was to one side holding a flashlight on the subject for me. As I descended I hit something below me, looking down there she was filming my subject, first impulse was to rip the reg from her mouth but I contained myself and moved on. My wife told me later she had come from behind me and JUST got between me and the reef at the top of the gully.
After this we keep et our distance from the main group (behind and to one side).
Interestingly another diver left the main group and followed us, after the dive he told us he was doing this and did we mind, no he was polite and would move in to take a look after I had taken my photo.
My revenge, I was going to buy a video but after that I told her NO.

orangeBloke:

Patience. Sadly it happens all too often.

I have been on both ends. When shooting I try to let everyone see the item first. Then also take lots of Diver shots. People are much more understanding when they know they will get an email with pics of them diving.

On the other side we were in Coz and I watched a photographer in our group drag her fins across the reef at Tormentos (SP?) trying to slow themselves down to take pics of schools of fish. When we got back on the boat I waited until a quite moment and recounted what I saw and stated no picture was worth dragging your fins like that. They agreed and admitted they where also having a buoyancy problem. I suggest they work on that the next couple of dives and leave the camera on board. In general I feel if you approach photographers with a smile and keep it friendly most will work with you. But the conversation typically has to wait until you are on the boat/shore.

orangeBloke:

We all feel your pain. The best solution is to avoid cattle boats and to only dive with operators that allow you to dive your own profile. Get away from the crowd or let them leave you. I've had good photo dives within sight of the anchor while everyone else is swimming to God knows where. I have also had great dives with friends where we assign a priority for photos. The diver who finds the subject has first dibs, and all other divers stay well away. If the subject is still there, the other divers take pre-arranged turns with it until the subject leaves or until everyone has their shot. If you're on a boat with many other divers, concentrate on macro, as wide angle shots will inevitably have stray fins or bubbles in the photo. This problem is one of the reasons I get to Bonaire or Curacao at least once a year and shore dive on my own schedule. Not too many folks on the reef at 4am. -Clay

I'm with Clay on this, if you stay away from the crowds there is no issue. This will not stop someone from being an idiot but at least you will not see it.

Ditto...I'm on Clay's team with this one. You'll always find me at the back of the pack. Yeah, I may miss something the DM finds and points out but more likely than not, I find some really cool stuff that everyone else didn't see in their race to cover the most area.

It's also the reason I do so many shore dives at CCV. Anyone with me on a dawn dive knows how to dive with a photographer or I'm out there solo, putzing around in the shallows.

I'm new at this but I've already come to the same conclusions as everyone else - dive with those who understand what you are doing or get away from those who don't.

I find some really cool stuff that everyone else didn't see in their race to cover the most area.
especially when you're shooting macro. One could stay in a very small area when shooting macro and find something new every time you turn around.

Sadly it the case. I always remember a post from Bob Whorton on wetpixel when a similar topic was being discussed he commented that if we all had someone follow us around on a dive with a vdo and then watched it after the dive, we would all see ourselves, to some degree, hassle marine life, destroy coral or impead other divers.

Back
Top Bottom