Underwater Photo Guide Class Feedback Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

denniscloutier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've finally bought a camera, and now my wife and I are looking for a good trip somewhere to get it wet. We're considering a trip with Underwater Photography Guide to Club Cantemar in La Paz. I've posted this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/375264-la-paz-photo-trip-questions.html

in the Mexico forum looking for info on the location and resort. I'm also hoping to get some info on the instructors, so I'm hoping that someone knows them or has taken some classes from them and can give me some feedback. The class info page is on their website at:

UWPG La Paz photo workshop 2011|Underwater Photography Guide

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

I've finally bought a camera, and now my wife and I are looking for a good trip somewhere to get it wet. We're considering a trip with Underwater Photography Guide to Club Cantemar in La Paz. I've posted this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/375264-la-paz-photo-trip-questions.html

in the Mexico forum looking for info on the location and resort. I'm also hoping to get some info on the instructors, so I'm hoping that someone knows them or has taken some classes from them and can give me some feedback. The class info page is on their website at:

UWPG La Paz photo workshop 2011|Underwater Photography Guide

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

I know Scott and Todd from the Los Angeles Underwater Photographic Society. Both are very accomplished photographers, good instructors and genuinely nice people. You'll have a good trip if you go with them.

You guys are in for a treat! La Paz was beautiful! I did the trip last summer w/ Underwater Photography Club and had a blast. Depending on your experience w/ a camera, Scott or Todd will be able to help you refine your shooting techniques and take some kickass pictures and there's plenty to see.
The resort was modest, nothing fancy, but you're here to dive, not lolly gag at the resort. Beds were comfortable, food was decent, beer was cold and delicious. The resort is about 10-15 minutes away from La Paz, which is nice and quiet, however, there is a free shuttle that will take you to and fro the resort and La Paz if you're interested. Also, during dinner each night, the group would show off their favorite pictures and receive compliments and recommendations on how to improve on each shot, lessons on strobe positioning (compact, dslr, single and dual strobe), plus a lesson in Adobe Lightroom.
To get to the dive sites, it was a 45 minute plus boat ride. If you get seasick, take medicine ahead of time, this ride can get a little rough. We had a good size group, so a lot of the time, we had our own boat and got to decide which dive site we wanted to visit. The dive sites were phenomenal. There were what seemed like endless bait-balls, and watching tuna, sea lions, dolphins, and comorants go to town makes from some fantastic photography. Or if weather is permitting, you can see hammerheads, dive a sunken ship which is a blast, and as a sweet, shallow, decompression dive, there's a sea lion colony. The sea lion's are friendly and playful, and act like little puppy dogs. And of course, there's snorkeling w/ baby whale sharks. I say baby, but some of these guys were 20-25 ft long! The dive sites in Laz Paz are heavily protected, so the ecosystem (coral, fish...etc) looked vibrant and very healthy.
I would not recommend this trip if you are a beginner diver. The dive master would show you around if you asked him, but for the most part, everyone did their own thing. The DMs were well informed, spoke great English, and were well humored. Some of the dives were challenging w/ large swells and a current, so getting on back on the boat w/ camera equipment and dive equipment is no amateur feat. We had some boat operators that were great, and others that weren't so. But overall, this was a great trip.
I think this was a pretty good overview, shoot me an email if you have any more questions. ScubaBk@gmail.com or check out my pictures from the dive, https://picasaweb.google.com/ScubaBk/ScrewingAroundInMexico#

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom