Underwater photo books?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still in the point and shoot market, any books that lean towards this angle? (vs spending money on a book that mostly addresses point that I cannot use anyway)

Martin's book is not just aimed at the slr people with many lenses and expensive housings. He covers photography techniques not just f stops & shutter speeds. it is a very good book and well written.

you could also consider joining BSOUP their magazine is always interesting, I would imagine getting to their monthly meetings would be a struggle, but there is a write up in the mag about them.

UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY - BSoUP Home page

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I would heartily recommend Martin's book as well (The Underwater Photographer, Third Edition: Digital and Traditional Techniques by Martin Edge). I bought it thinking that he would be mostly talking about SLR's (digital and film), but he also covers Point and Shoot cameras and the associated techniques as well. Actually, after going through the book from cover to cover (several times), I thought it would equally apply to either crowd because a lot of what he writes about and explains can be applied to both - all three if you want to put film into its own category.

The book is filled with great info to get good photos, various techniques depending on the subject are explained in detail and all accompanied by helpful little hints and tricks that obviously come from someone who has really taken the time to explain in detail how he makes his images.

I've looked at and borrowed a few other u/w photography books and quite honestly, I found Martin's book to be the most complete and the most helpful. It really is the only u/w photography book, in terms of equipment and technique, you'll likely ever need.

The only other book I'd suggest is one of those coffee-table books filled with amazing photos for additional inspiration (ideas on what to shoot and how to go about doing it - or seeing what's already been done).

Hope that helps. By the way, I have no connection to the author or book other than being a very satisfied customer.

Lee

Incidentally, if you want a kind of 'try before you buy', look at Google Book Search
You sometimes cannot see the whole book, nor can you copy text from them, but it's an excellent virtual library!

Here is a link to the book being discussed. Many pages are omitted, but you will get an idea how good it really is: The Underwater Photographer: Digital ... - Google Book Search

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom