underwater housing "waterproofness"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sylvain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How well can you trust your underwater housing. If I get a housing that is showing 200feet how well will it work at 200feet I am looking at a lot of camera and some are 100,125, 150 180 feet etc.. so if I buy a housing that says a depth how reliable is that depth,what I am trying to say is if I buy a housing that says180feet I should I stay below above 150 just to be sure??? or as the camera been tested to much deeper does anybody know the norm for posting the depth.

I guess it depends on the manufacturer. My Ikelite gear is tested to 200ft in a pressure vessel. I don't have any concerns about taking it that deep.

If you have a question about the depth rating and their testing, feel free to ask the manufacturer how they arrived at that number.

Also remember that there are no guarantees. Insure your equipment.

I've never had a leak in an Ikelite housing.

It's rated to 300'. I'd be more concerned about me being that deep than the housing.

Some housings come with instructions to leave it overnight in the bathtub to see if it leaks. These make me very nervous. If there's the chance of a leak in 1' of water, there's no way i'd use it in 100'.

Terry

Sylvain:
How well can you trust your underwater housing. If I get a housing that is showing 200feet how well will it work at 200feet I am looking at a lot of camera and some are 100,125, 150 180 feet etc.. so if I buy a housing that says a depth how reliable is that depth,what I am trying to say is if I buy a housing that says180feet I should I stay below above 150 just to be sure??? or as the camera been tested to much deeper does anybody know the norm for posting the depth.

I have a Canon housing and don't worry that the rated depth is 130' as opposed to Ikelites 300'. I pretty much just mentally prepare myself for the flood every dive and hope for the best. So far, so good.

I have an Ikelite Video housing rated to 200' and have only had it to approx. 120' with no issues.

I have two canon digital housings one rated to 100' (an older housing) and one rated to 130'. Both have been to 150-160 ft several times without failure. If they flood then I guess its time to upgrade!

I realize there are great pressures at depth but if the o-ring groves are designed properly they will handle much more than the rated depth. Think of the oring on the tank valve.... 3,500+ psi and it is holding in air (which is a much smaller molecule than water).

Scott

Whatever depth a manufacturer rates their product is a 'working' depth that will have been tested deeper than that. You should be good to go for whatever depth is given for the product without concern for 'pushing' it too far.

Naturally, this assumes you've done your part by making certain there is no grit, hair, etc that can ruin your day!

Remember that you get what you pay for. Acrylic housings may not leak at max depth, but some push button controls may not work properly depending on the strength of the return springs used. Always do a dynamic pressure test on a new housing before you dive it with a camera inside. Dive it to 50-60ft & push/rotate all of the controls several times, watching for small leaks. The manufacturer only does static pressure tests (does not work controls).

Hi,

This control issue is exactly what one friend reported for a Canon housing rated to 100' ... at 125', no leaks, but some of the buttons compressed against camera controls, and the camera was confused and not workable. Recovered upon ascent.

Hearsay evidence, YMMV ...

Cheers,
W

jcclink:
Remember that you get what you pay for. Acrylic housings may not leak at max depth, but some push button controls may not work properly depending on the strength of the return springs used. Always do a dynamic pressure test on a new housing before you dive it with a camera inside. Dive it to 50-60ft & push/rotate all of the controls several times, watching for small leaks. The manufacturer only does static pressure tests (does not work controls).

Back
Top Bottom