Underwater Geocaching?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaru_Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So for anyone that is an avid outdoorsman as myself maybe familiar with Geocaching. For those who do not know what it is:

Geo-caching is where small treasures are hidden throughout the country, you go onto one of many sites and type in a location where you will be hiking, biking, walking, etc and it shows you all of the available caches in that are. They are ranked by how well they are hidden and size. Once you pick one, you enter the GPS coordinates into a GPS and head out to find it.

Now I realize finding/buying an underwater GPS would be very expensive, maybe put a GPS into one of those waterproof clear plastic cases. Regardless, maybe there is a way to do this. Hide a small treasure underwater, near some underwater landmark. Give a bit more adventure to already fun dives. Or take you places you otherwise never would of ventured.

If this already exists let me know, sorry for posting this if so. :depressed:

This sounds like it might be a great maketing tool for dive shops. They hide a treasure of discount coupons or free stuff from their shop on the bottom, put the gps numbers out there for the general area and divers can look until it is found. They can then visit the shop for a photo and claim their booty.
I think it would work really well in places like the Keys.

ZDD

I hid one underwater on a shipwreck off ocean city MD. (feel free to PM if you want details)... I posted the coordinates to the wreck, and then in the hint gave where on the wreck it was.

Why not start an underwater geocaching area in the treasures forum?? Just click on the topic and have it broken down by state??

GPS coordinates are great and all, but why not just pick a shore location or point of an underwater landmark and give a compass bearing and approximate distance? I have been thinking of this for some time and wanted to place some stuff myself, but I recently moved and now trying to locate all the local dive spots.

You know someone would get a nice "ammo box" cache at the bottom of some quarry or something and then fill it with ping-pong or plastic balls...surprise when it's open!

You know who you are...(okay, at least I would) :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom