Underwater drone or remote cameras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone used an inexpensive underwater drone or a tethered camera. I'm exploring for new dive sites and thought it would save time to be able to view from the surface boat instead of diving or freediving down every time I see something promising. Only looking at 25-30 metres depths at the most. thanks.

We do this.
I have an old Go Pro fitted with a rear screen (so we can review the footage quickly. Its mounted to on end to a 30cm/12" bit of wood At the other end I'd fix on a small vertical rudder that stops it spinning. In the centre I have a screw eye to attach line to and also there is a 2lb weight on the underside (where the screw eye is) to act as ballast and to keep it stable.

We hang it over the side for a few minutes to check what out depth/fish finder is actually seeing, any fish life and the vis - to see if it's worth getting in the water

We do this.
I have an old Go Pro fitted with a rear screen (so we can review the footage quickly. Its mounted to on end to a 30cm/12" bit of wood At the other end I'd fix on a small vertical rudder that stops it spinning. In the centre I have a screw eye to attach line to and also there is a 2lb weight on the underside (where the screw eye is) to act as ballast and to keep it stable.

We hang it over the side for a few minutes to check what out depth/fish finder is actually seeing, any fish life and the vis - to see if it's worth getting in the water

Thanks. Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing as well. I wanted to try the wifi live view option with the newer go pros. That way I could move the boat with the go pro under and get a live feed at the same time- have you tried wifi live view?

Thanks. Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing as well. I wanted to try the wifi live view option with the newer go pros. That way I could move the boat with the go pro under and get a live feed at the same time- have you tried wifi live view?

Nothing wireless is going to work. RF (radio/wireless) does not work more than a few inches under water. Your only options are a wired connection or put the camera on record, drop it down, record blindly for a while, bring it back up and review the recording.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom