Underwater crime scene investigation help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a police officer for the Nashville police department and a commercial diver on the side. I am up to date on all the OSHA regs and trained on surface suppied air. I am trying to collect some information so I can present it to my cheif on UW crime scene investigation the cost, the benifits, other depatments policies...ect. If you work for a department that has a UW crime scene team or you can help point me in the right direction that would be great. I'm not looking for information on body recovery (scoop ups) anybody can do that. I need proper evidence collection, photos, crime scene charts...ect.

thanx JT

Contact the Seattle Police Department Dive Unit. They have a pretty good set of procedures established and I am sure they would help you out. I don't know if they still do it...it was a long time ago, but they used to have and host regional law enforcement dive team summits for information sharing. The ones I attended had departments from the Pacific Northwest and Canada attending.

Shelby County Tennessee has an UW police search/rescue/investigation unit. You might want to check with them since they are in the same state.

I noticed the name Music City. Did you know Nashville, TN already has a dive team that handles U/W crime scene? In fact Metro PD looked about 3 months ago at reforming the team it had in the 1980's and decided to not do it for several reasons. One reason that was that they had instant access to these U/W crime scene teams and there was no reason to duplicate this function with in Metro. They looked at the SOP's needed and the costs in equipment and payroll. I recall they did a very detailed look into this.

JT,

Please allow me to re-introduce myself to you (the first time was on the truck recovery you worked in December at Lock 2 ramp). I am David Crane, Captain with the Emergency Support Unit of the Mayor’s Office of Emergency Management and Chief Dive Officer of the O.E.M. Dive Search & Recovery Team. You may not be fully aware of us, but we are Metro’s established dive recovery team. We are responsible for body and evidence recovery for Davidson County. The Metro Police Department and Fire Departments senior officers are fully aware of us and call on our dive and sonar teams as needed. The Police Department has recently looked into restarting its team and decided there wasn’t enough of a need to justify the expense.

Our team members came to the table with a full spectrum of training certifications including several Dive Masters, Assistant Instructors, Instructor, Cavern, Deco, Tri-mix, and Commercial. However, these wouldn’t cut it for the type of work we do. All team members have gone to great lengths to insure we have the proper training by an agency dedicated to public safety diving. By this, we are more than capable of proper and safe recovery of evidence (understand we treat all body recoveries as evidence as we might not know if a body underwater could be related to a crime. Believe me, not everyone can or should do this.). What this means is every member is certified as a (PSD) Public Safety Diver, not that they hold a PSD specialty from a recreational agency. We have also gone to great lengths to see that our team and the Fire Department’s water rescue divers all match in training, certification, equipment and so forth.

Since we became operational, we have managed to reduce the recovery time of drowning victims from 3-5 days (drag hooks, luck, & nature running it’s course) to 2-3 hours (side-scan sonar & SCUBA). There are areas in which we are not trained and will not presently dive such as hull inspections or search/recovery for underwater hazardous devices. However, in this area and to my knowledge, this has never been an issue.

Please don’t misunderstand my message. We have taken all possible steps to reduce and eliminate the “us versus them” dynamic that can be seen between different departments and I hope it stays that way. We tend to concentrate on helping any department (Police, Fire, Mutual Aid, etc.) that calls us and to safely get the job done. All of this being said we are always looking for well-qualified and able bodies to volunteer.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance. BE SAFE.

JT,

(understand we treat all body recoveries as evidence as we might not know if a body underwater could be related to a crime. Believe me, not everyone can or should do this.

This is a good point, JT. Any PSD should be able to properly handle evidence IMO. It is a very important part of our team's training as well. Where it may not be quite as important is if the team is strictly a rescue team - but even then, just because its a rescue doesn't preclude the fact that it could be a crime scene too.
Recovering a body can cause the loss and damage of important evidence if done improperly. Unfortunately allot of teams do so improperly making your job harder I'm sure.
If you're looking at how to do this stuff yourselves I've seen this program a few times in various locations and would recommend it. Hosting the program will keep the costs down if its done properly
Homicide

Please don't misunderstand my goal. It takes more that a plumer to build a house it takes many differant people to build the final goal (OEM, fire and police departments). Just because they have said "NO" in the past doesn't meen that I am going to stop presenting my case. I will never stop until I can serve and protect all citizens in my city on the streets and on the water. After all isn't that the reason we do the things we do.

I am about to finish the UCSI certificate program at FSU. They have a Law Enforcement training program, and if you call they may be able to give you some of the infomation you are looking for. Check out this link for some more information: FSU-Panama City | UCSI

Back
Top Bottom