Underwater cameras??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RYCO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i wnat one but not a pro grade. whats the best digital camera and case combo. not $$$ but not >$ either. i have a cannon powershot s5is but from what ive read i dont want to take it down. i do want it to be digital..... so whats the best comb/... meaning camera and case.

This is a question that if you ask 20 people you will probably get 20 different answers. A lot of the local shops carry Sealife camera's and you can rent them. you might want to give that a try and see if it suits your needs.

What do you want to spend? U/W photography can be a black hole that can quickly suck up your money. A system can go from $300 and up. The system I carry is considered a low end DSLR setup and I have about $5,500 wrapped up in it.

I don't know if that helps any.

Stephen

On the other hand I stick to point and shoots underwater because it isn't a question of when you will flood a camera but when.
That said there are a number of good P&S cameras that are up to the job of capturing great snapshots to show friends and family what you've seen underwater.
I like Fuji F series as a best bang for the buck. Take a look at the F200
The Canon G series is also a popular choice.

RYCO,
We sell a fair amount of SeaLife cameras and our customers almost without exception have been very pleased with their selection. I will be the first to tell you that they are not professional grade cameras however everyone has been pleased with the quality of their pictures and video. Sealife cameras are designed for underwater use and any options you purchase today, strobe/ wide angle lens etc, for the current camera will probably fit an upgraded camera that you might buy two years from now. As far as flooding goes, we have very few problems with that. Proper training and use go a long way in preventing that issue, it is something that you have to pay attention to on every dive.

Ikelite is also another option for camera cases. They produce very good scuba quality cases at a reasonable price.

If you find your self on the west side stop in and take a look at some of the photos and video that we shot with our Sealife camera.

I own a SeaLIfe DC100, which was my first UW camera, AND my first digital. They were the best priced entry camera I could find when I first wanted to try UW photography.

Am now using the DC500, I picked up when they came out.

Not professional cameras, certainly, but not terribly expensive way to get your feet wet, UW foto-wise. Good way to learn, and you haven't made a large investment, if you decide you wish to move up into "better" UW cameras, later on.

Believing in the whole not if but when the housing floods theory I bought a cheapo through overtons that is rated to 150 feet and it is a 5 Megapixil that does a decent job for me. definately no pro but good enough for me to remember where I was and what I saw. and when it floods it is only $130.

hbhobby..... you dont have a link for that one do you? that sounds like what im looking for.

I am a big fan of Ikelite products. Their housings are extremely durable and designed for over-the-counter cameras. If you are unfortunate enough to flood one, getting a replacement is relatively simple and doesn't cost a small fortune.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom