Underwater Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deerhunter1911a1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Howdy all, now that i have been doing more and more diving, i realized that i dont have anything way awesome to show for my underwater endeavors. i was looking to get either an underwater camera or a case for my camera (canon digital rebel xt) but the cases for that camera are SOOO expensive. can anyone recommend either a nice, relatively inexpensive underwater camera, or an inexpensive digital with case? im trying to spend less than $400, and preferably a lot less...thanks!

Unless you can get a really good deal on a used housing, I am doubtful you'd find a housing for your rebel xt within the $400 budget. Between housing, port, and strobe, I think you're definitely over the $1k mark, even used. But maybe I'm wrong and someone else out there will correct me!

I would definitely look at used gear, though. The SeaLife DC600 goes for around $500 new (no strobe ~$700 with strobe), and Sea and Sea has a competing product, the DX 860G, for around the same price. I'm sure one of these will wind up used on eBay that will fall in your budget. These are point and shoot systems though, so bear that in mind also. Also, if you're willing to pass on a strobe for a while, the PT series of Olympus housings and cameras are all over eBay and can be had for within your budget also.

Older systems are always selling for cheap, too. I was able to buy an Olympus 5050 camera, light and motion housing, strobe, sync cords, arms, pelican case and other accessories for $650 on eBay, saw a similar one with less for $500. These rigs ran for around $2k back in their day!

Be prepared, though, once you enter the world of UW photography, you're going to wind up spending a whole lotta cash. :) I love this hobby, but it ain't cheap!

As livewire indicated, unless you get a great deal on something used or end of line, I do not think the $400 is achievable for a decent camera (it really depends on what you want and how you define decent). I am sure there are deals that would fit on some real low megapixel cameras but the photos you get will not convey the beauty of what you saw. I would suggest watching eBay or even talking to some of the underwater photo retailers and perhaps they can ask around for people that might be looking to upgrade and sell off the old equipment. Or they may also know of an "end of line" type sale.

Or forget trying to do dslr as a new diver altoghether and head towards one of the excellent compact digitals out there.

There are contenders from Canon, Sony, Nikon and Fuji so you'll find a good variety. To get started in your quest, look through the Pink Link in my signature - it takes you to our ever growing Everything about Photo Sticky thread and inside you will not only find useful tips for getting started but also links to specific models so you can see what others are saying and see what they are achieving.

Personally, I'd head for something like the G9 (out of your budget a bit) or the Canon A series range (in your budget, even with a housing!). These units allow you to have as little or as much control as you want to have on a shot (program modes, auto or manual control of aperture and shutter, ISO...)

Getting started for about $400 shouldn't be a problem at all.

Or forget trying to do dslr as a new diver altoghether and head towards one of the excellent compact digitals out there.

There are contenders from Canon, Sony, Nikon and Fuji so you'll find a good variety. To get started in your quest, look through the Pink Link in my signature - it takes you to our ever growing Everything about Photo Sticky thread and inside you will not only find useful tips for getting started but also links to specific models so you can see what others are saying and see what they are achieving.

Personally, I'd head for something like the G9 (out of your budget a bit) or the Canon A series range (in your budget, even with a housing!). These units allow you to have as little or as much control as you want to have on a shot (program modes, auto or manual control of aperture and shutter, ISO...)

Getting started for about $400 shouldn't be a problem at all.

that is great! thanks so much! i was thinking of something small that i could use on land or underwater, so thats pretty great! i backpack a lot too and the slr is just too big and heavy to be used for that, so a small point and shoot with a housing seems to be the ticket!

Oooo...a very slippery slope this is indeed.....you will find yourself finding ways to take your DSLR down as soon as you get some decent pics! Exactly what happened to me...

I 2nd the Canon A series.... In fact, I believe it can either shoot in RAW or there are hacks for it. You are going to look for a strobe too eventually. Keep that in mind. Ebay can potentially solve that problem. Good luck with your search!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom