Underwater camera options for intermediate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sipadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm interested in getting a new underwater camera as my current camera - a Fuji F31D is getting old despite a sensor change.

You can see some of my photos here:
The Gentle Knight - Maldives Scuba Dive 2008: Part 1

I've clocked over 200 dives - started diving since 2007. Currently an advanced Padi diver.

I don't think I want to get a DSLR for underwater shooting just yet - as I haven't even mastered shooting one on land :dork2:

But I do want to advance my photography skills a tad beyond a point and shoot.

My friend was advising me to get the Olympus EPL2 or EP2.

Another dude was recommending the Canon G12.

But apparently the Olympus is better for low-light shooting.

I'm heading to Niue in the South Pacific in September so I want to buy a camera soon to practice for the big trip.

Any recommendations or advice please?

I'm using an Olympus E-PL1 in murky water which has 25' vis on its best day and couldn't be happier with this camera. PL1 doesn't have the frustrating shutter lag my Canon A720 has.

I have posted some of my pics on Login | Facebook Mammoth Lake Scuba Shop facebook page.

E-PL1, PT-EP01, ZEN dome, Panny 7-14mm lens, kit lens 14-14mm, D-2000, S-2000, and Big Blue $139 focus light. Above water I use an Oly 40-150mm M4/3 lens a lot. Some people will complain about the gen 1 kit 14-42 lens, but it is nice, although if buying now I would opt for the gen II kit lens because it is better.

Also check out the Sea&Sea DX-2G. As S&S quotes: "DSLR-like performance in a smaller and more affordable package". I have the Sea&Sea DX-1G and I am very happy with the results. The only remaining problems (too much noise above 100 ASA, write speed of RAW pictures and a rather dark LCD while shooting with manual setting) seem to be solved in the successor, the DX-2G.
For a quick view of pictures with this (DX-1G) camera check either the links in my signature or my picasa website. I have the DX-1G with two Sea&Sea YS-110(a) strobes, the wide angle wet lens and the macro wet lens. The macro lens I wouldn't advise (too much money for the improvement) but the wide angle lens is almost a must. I also have a Fisheye focus light to solve the dark LCD-problem but you can wait to see if that is still necessary with the DX-2G.

Thanks. I checked out the Olympus ELP2 in Singapore where I'm currently residing. But I was shocked to find that in one store in Funan Centre (recommended agents) - they were selling the ELP2 for US$750 and selling the native uw housing for $US790 - which was 30% above the US prices quoted on virtually all of the online sites. However their prices for the XZ1 was competitive tho.

I love my canon S90 (there's a newer version, the S95). I have the canon housing, which also didn't break the bank and works perfectly. It's really an amazing little camera- super compact for the features it has. It has underwater settings, but also the versatility to adjust aperature, shutter speed, ISO, white balance. It's a great way to learn about how to use a DSLR because it allows all the adjustments a DSLR has, just without the ability to change lenses. It's also got a nice wide lens for being a point and shoot sized camera.

I also have a Canon DSLR (no underwater setup) which is awesome. I think Canon is a great brand with great products.

The Olympus Pens are pretty impressive for the size and cost. It is probably worth investigating the Sony Alpha NEX5, which is also a micro-four-thirds system. It has been getting some great reviews.

The NEX-5 is indeed a great camera but not a micro 4/3 but rather a full APS-C sensor camera. The crop factor is 1.5 not 2.0
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom