undersuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear this...type 3
www.cdsportswear.com
Saved a ton of money, and it is awesome! Highly recommended, plus I like the fact that I'm helping out a mom & pop shop....or more of a mom shop.

Lightweight bergelene bottoms and tops, with a bergelene t-shirt over the top. It isn't "sexy", but has worked hiking for years, and is comfy in neoprene at 40F. (I also picked up some EMS supermicro tops and bottoms, similar to Polartec, but they're too warm in 40F water)

I wear polypropelene top and bottoms from the Army Surplus store. (plus I like going in there :11ztongue ) I also put on a microfleece top and bottom over them. I wear socks from the Bass Pro Shop (they are awesome, I used to always have cold feet). But I want a polarfleece jumpsuit. :crafty:

ramoul:
Hi,
what type of undersuit do you wear under your drysuit.
What would be your advice for a lake diver (cold water).
Thanks

When I first bought my drysuit (neoprene) I got a one piece DUI undergarment for $150. To do again I would not bother with the DUI label cost. You can find good insulation at places like EMS or REI. It's important to get things with the right cut and fit. You don't want tops with high neck collars (like a regular pull over). You would want crew neck cut (I think that is the term) basically where the collar is extremely small. I added a top thermal layer just last week. The shop wanted $100 for the DUI sleeveless top jacket and I found the same design at EMS on sale for $30.

Keep in mind this was for a neoprene drysuit where you do not need thermals as thick as those required for a trilam suit.

--Matt

How cold is cold? To me, cold water is 35 degrees or less.. to others, cold water is anything under 50.

I wear a Diving Concepts TPS Thinsulate Extreme (200gm Type C Thinsulate lined with fleece) and it keeps me warm enough as long as I'm swimming in "cold" water, and downright toasty even when sitting still in anything over about 40.

I did the fleece thing, and it simply wasn't warm enough for anything under 50. Get some Thinsulate, and wear some lightweight polypro/Bergelene/Capilene/whatever under it so you don't have to wash it often.

jonnythan:
How cold is cold? To me, cold water is 35 degrees or less.. to others, cold water is anything under 50.

I wear a Diving Concepts TPS Thinsulate Extreme (200gm Type C Thinsulate lined with fleece) and it keeps me warm enough as long as I'm swimming in "cold" water, and downright toasty even when sitting still in anything over about 40.

I did the fleece thing, and it simply wasn't warm enough for anything under 50. Get some Thinsulate, and wear some lightweight polypro/Bergelene/Capilene/whatever under it so you don't have to wash it often.
Are you saying you would help me pick out my underwear? :11:

Do you know people who dive the 200g over 50? I don't get too warm very easily. Usually takes air temps close to 100 for that on land. So how warm does it have to get before you change your underwear? (oh that sounds sooooo bad, but you know what I mean.)

I just got the Diving Concepts undersuit this winter, so the warmest water I've had it in is about 42 degrees. I'll have to try it out as the season progresses, but I'll probably go back to my light fleece when the air + water temp is above 140, unless it's rainy or I plan on doing a long dive, in which case I'll put the DC undies back on. But I'll really have to see how it feels in warmer water.

I have used the DC you have for caves and it's perfect. The cave temps have ranged from 58 to 72. On land in the hot summer months is a different story.

jonnythan:
I just got the Diving Concepts undersuit this winter, so the warmest water I've had it in is about 42 degrees. I'll have to try it out as the season progresses, but I'll probably go back to my light fleece when the air + water temp is above 140, unless it's rainy or I plan on doing a long dive, in which case I'll put the DC undies back on. But I'll really have to see how it feels in warmer water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom