Understanding the Mantis 2's Deco screen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GloryDayz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Because the M2's user manual is short of what the three parts of the lower line of the mandatory Deco screen mean/indicate, I thought I'd ask here. Yeah, I read the manual, it just didn't exactly tell me what I'll be seeing.

Soooo... In the screen shot below, what is "5:" telling the diver? What is the "1:" telling the diver? And what is "3m" telling the diver?

I'm assuming:

"5:" is the depth (5 meters) of the next Deco stop (perhaps the only Deco stop),
"1:" means it wants the there (5 meters) for one minute, and
"3m" is the ceiling for the diver since there's a Deco obligation.

Again, I'm having to assume since the manual doesn't say...

1a ScubaPro Deco Screen.jpg

It appears to me that the left number is your time to surface number. Ie how long the ascent + all deco will take. In this case it appears that it assumes an 9m per minute ascent rate. (so 3 minutes to ascend to 3 meters) where you will stop for one minute (now 4 mins) and I assume that it rounds up the ascent time to the surface to the surface for a total of 5 mins.

So summar: number on the left is your time to surface. Number in the middle is the minutes at your current stop and on the far right is your current stop depth

An add on: just theorising here because as you said the manual isn't clear. The stop above the 5 is just alerting you to the fact that you have a stop and the symbol beneath it is an arrow pointing to the surface I think

I look at it differently.
I tgink that the number on the left is your stop depth: 5 meters. It's labeled STOP, not TTS. And there's an up arrow banging against a ceiling.

I'll guess that the number on the right is 13min.
It's odd because they chose the left side of the lcd numeric to load the number "1", so there's a gap that leads to confusion. If you look at 31 minutes dive time, those two dots are there as well, and I don't think they mean 31:
That's a poor design choice, but sortof understandable if they want a fully filled "1".
And 13 min deco at 5 meters is not improbable, since you're showing a 30m dive with an elapsed half hour.

It appears to me that the left number is your time to surface number. Ie how long the ascent + all deco will take. In this case it appears that it assumes an 9m per minute ascent rate. (so 3 minutes to ascend to 3 meters) where you will stop for one minute (now 4 mins) and I assume that it rounds up the ascent time to the surface to the surface for a total of 5 mins.

So summar: number on the left is your time to surface. Number in the middle is the minutes at your current stop and on the far right is your current stop depth

An add on: just theorising here because as you said the manual isn't clear. The stop above the 5 is just alerting you to the fact that you have a stop and the symbol beneath it is an arrow pointing to the surface I think

Thanks. Yeah, we're all confused. Especially since ScubaPro seems to pretty-much skip over any detailed explanation of/for that screen. I hope they're watching this thread and realizing that there are people who sure would like a page, or two, dedicated to it. Heck, they spend more time showing you what rates you can rise than they do how to read what deco obligation is required.

I tgink that the number on the left is your stop depth: 5 meters. It's labeled STOP, not TTS. And there's an up arrow banging against a ceiling.

It's odd because they chose the left side of the lcd numeric to load the number "1", so there's a gap that leads to confusion. If you look at 31 minutes dive time, those two dots are there as well, and I don't think they mean 31:
That's a poor design choice, but sortof understandable if they want a fully filled "1".
And 13 min deco at 5 meters is not improbable, since you're showing a 30m dive with an elapsed half hour.

Thank you too. Now that I look at it as you've pointed out, you may very well be right. But like I just said to DiveClimbRide, it sure would be nice to not be guessing. And in PADI, as it relates to computers, we always stress to "read the manual", this is a case where the manufacturer appears to have gone way too light on detail on a rather important topic.

Well, I went back and looked at both the M2 and Mantis manuals, and I agree with you. Very poorly written.
But after comparing the Mantis with the M2, I have a different interpretation, but again, there's no wording to help. Here's what I saw:
Screenshot_20210712-075356_Drive.jpg

In the Mantis, that ":" mark is quite obviously separate from the 1, so I was wrong about that. Rereading the text, I think the 1 means "First deco stop", for 3 min at 5 meters.
Note that both manuals used almost exactly the same dive, but the fields have been rearranged.
Although why there's a colon after the 5 if it's a depth is beyond me.
Seriously, if you want to ship it to me, I'll dive it in my pressure pot and take pictures for you as the deco unfolds.
Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe, "get a Perdix"? :confused:
I hope they're watching this thread and realizing that there are people who sure would like a page, or two, dedicated to it.
Scubapro NEVER assists in this forum. At least, not in years. It's part of their customer service. "It's Scubapro. It's perfect. Don't ask questions."

Well, I went back and looked at both the M2 and Mantis manuals, and I agree with you. Very poorly written.
But after comparing the Mantis with the M2, I have a different interpretation, but again, there's no wording to help. Here's what I saw:
View attachment 670497
In the Mantis, that ":" mark is quite obviously desist from the 1, so I was wrong about that. Rereading the text, I think the 1 means "First deco stop", for 3 min at 5 meters.
Note that both manuals used almost exactly the same dive, but the fields have been rearranged.
Seriously, if you want to ship it to me, I'll dive it in my pressure pot and take pictures for you as the deco unfolds.

LOL, that's awesome. And I'm sure any ScubaPro staff who are watching this thread are half laughing. Honestly, I might just take two computers (I also dive a Suunto Vyper), go into Deco and see if I can use what the Suunto is telling me to make some semblance of sense for what's showing up on the ScubaPro. OK, the Suunto will probably freak-out as compared to the ScubaPro, but there's an outside chance...

But I'm glad I'm not the only one who's confused about why ScubaPro has left the information on the screen so unexplained. I don't think we're asking for a chapter on it, just a brief, "This is what you'll see/hear, this is what the part(s) you see mean."

But alas...
View attachment 670497
In the Mantis, that ":" mark is quite obviously separate from the 1, so I was wrong about that. Rereading the text, I think the 1 means "First deco stop", for 3 min at 5 meters.

Scubapro NEVER assists in this forum. At least, not in years. It's part of their customer service. "It's Scubapro. It's perfect. Don't ask questions."

Another thought as we try to reverse engineer ScubaPro's screen (without their help!!!), I think the right-hand number is a depth (in meters in their pics). I say that because in the next section 4.11.4 "MB Level Ignored", the screen show the diver at 5.5 meters, when the right-hand number said 6m. So I'm thinking the diver in their example ignored the MB level by ascending to .5 meters above the 6-meter ceiling the computer was limiting them to. So it looks like the diver is being instructed to come to 6 meters for 5 minutes, and their ceiling is 6 meters. And in this case they rose to half a meter above the ceiling. Again, just a guess, but I think I'm on track with that line of thinking (guessing)...

I also included section 4.8.9.4 from the Mantis-1's manual to show the same relative dive situation. And my logic seems to track with the instructions for that model too...

Attachments

• 1b ScubaPro Deco Screen.jpg
    1b ScubaPro Deco Screen.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 1c ScubaPro Deco Screen.jpg
    1c ScubaPro Deco Screen.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 1d ScubaPro Deco Screen.jpg
    1d ScubaPro Deco Screen.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 66
I like it!
So we're concluding...
upload_2021-7-12_8-48-27.png

Deco stop #1: 5 min STOP @ 3 m (meters)?
That makes sense too, for a first stop appearing as you enter deco. Short, at the shallowest possible depth. I like it.
Well, I don't like it. It's not intuitive with that ceiling symbol, but I can understand it.

And that's why I'm thinking, going back to the Mantis-2's screen, the left number is the level the computer wants you to come up to/stop at/stay within .5 meters of (while watching for ascent speed warnings on the way up!!!), the middle number is the time you'll need to spend at that depth once you get there (in minutes), and the right number is your ceiling.

So I read their M2 Deco scenario as follows:

* He's at 30.9 meters
* He's been diving for 31 minutes
* He's got 92 bar of gas left
* They want him to ascent to 5 meters
* They want him to spend 1 minute at between 4.5 and 5.5 meters
* His ceiling is 3 meters or he'll be in some version of violation is he stays shallower than 4.5 meters for too long
* After the 1-minute stop at 5 meters (if all goes by the M2's plan), the diver would still need to do a 3-minute safety stop at 3 meters
* And his recommended ascent rate (won't be given a warning to "SLOW") will be based on the depths/speeds shown in the table in section 4.11.5 of the Mantis-2's manual

It all makes sense. But it's just a guess.

Attachments

• 1a ScubaPro Deco Screen.jpg
    1a ScubaPro Deco Screen.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 55

That does make some sense but I'm confused that they would show a deco stop that isn't a multiple of 3 for depth. I think taking it for a deco dive and videoing it is the best option for sorting this out.

Back
Top Bottom