Understand your computers before using them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

This happened a long time ago. In fact, I believe it was my first dive beyond open water and 5th time diving since 12 years before.

I was gearing up with my wife (who also certified with me) and another regular at the shop asked if he could buddy up with us (at the time Laguna Beach would not allow solo divers). We agreed and covered each others experience. We were fresh out of open water and he was a Master Diver with something like 1000+ dives.

This was the same place where our previous 4 dives took place and where 1/2 of his dives are (Shaw's Cove). The only two things he cared to know from me was what my air pressure was at times and when I was ready to head back towards the beach (we reviewed a hand signal for "beach").

I was accustomed to 30ft. water at the time. We kept following the reef and at one point I was 40 feet and 20 seconds later 52 (on the floor the whole time). I was already low on air 28 minutes into the dive reading 1,100 PSI (of starting 3,410). I was thinking to myself "isn't he going to head back to the beach already?". My wife didn't mention her air pressure running 1,250 at the same time (I analyzed her log after the fact). I see a count down where my time remaining usually is going from 1 minute then 59..58...57...etc. and I'm thinking "crap, I'm out of air". Didn't dawn on me at that point to look at my PSI just below and even if I did, I may not have correlated how much PSI I burn at each breath, especially when I'm anxious.

I ascended only slightly slower than my bubbles and the computer is beeping and I'm thinking "crap, I'm going to die". Anyway, as I'm almost at the surface it changes and says 12 minutes remaining but I'm already up. 3 minutes later they surfaced and asked if I'm okay and he asked if I have DAN insurance. I was spitting and it was red because of the strawberries and red gatorade I had before the dive and he was freaking out. We surfaced pretty far out and had a 45 minute swim back to shore. I'm not exactly sure but I think the end of the reef is about 1/4 - 1/2 mile off shore. At the time, I wasn't accustomed to surface swimming of any distance and I was not feeling well. These days I regularily swim 3 miles in the ocean multiples times a week.

I later figured out that it was telling me to to a stop for 1 minute and the beep was my rapid ascent alarm. I also learned that day, after talking with my wife, that we need to not rely on another person's profile to keep us safe. My wife and I also nearly memorized the manual of all the critical gear we had and now I make it a point not to let such things get to me and to prevent them. Even to this day, I have had same scary things happen to me at depth that I just keep calm and fix.

Having dived in the military I should have known better but safety is easy to take for granted. It isn't until you have a scare or two that you realize the important is planing the dive and diving the plan, knowing your own limits, and knowing for yourself when to call the dive or head back, despite anyone elses dissappointment. You can only dive another day if you first survive the current day.

Another lesson I learned a year later is not to eat or drink red substances before a dive. I have surfaced from beach dives hurling from the surf and it is pinkish red because I love red gatorades or stawberries (my two favorite substances) and seen lifeguards freak out over it (and my own dive buddies for that matter). Even better, when I have a soda and it comes up fizzy... you should see the look on peoples faces. I don't drink soda anymore at all for but for other reasons. I also don't get sick anymore under most circumstances but still, I don't want to accidentally end up in a chamber because someone misinterpreted my breakfeast.

Thanks

All very good points. I make it a point to always read my computer owner's manual on the plane.

You really don't want to be at 80 feet wondering what a beep or a display is telling you. I've had the same computer for years now and have memorized it fairly well. Still good to refresh it when you haven't used it in several months.

I have an Oceanic Pro Plus and although it's Nitrox and air integrated, it's still a rather "simple" computer. Two of my buddies have the Pro Plus II and although the computer is improved it sure is more complicated. I know if I had a II I'd just learn it and be fine.

-Charles

Understanding your computer and its readouts is really critical. So many people succumb to the temptation to buy a computer and then fail to master its functions and understand its displays before diving with it.

I love your warning about red snacks and drinks. Never heard of issues with this sort of thing, but you can certainly see why onlookers might get freaked by 'blood red' emissions...

Thanks for an interesting post...

Speaking of red....

I drove off the road several years ago in a snow storm and hit a tree head on. I was on the way to a church function with 5 gallons of red punch in the back. First thing I saw after I recovered from the air-bag was a red windshield and red everywhere around me. Thought I was toast for awhile

Back
Top Bottom