Underneath the Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The waters around Phil Foster Park continue to be a favorite spot for recreational salt water tropical fish collectors.

Great episode , thanks for sharing . Our head Instructor was just there for his Instructor
trainer course with SSI . He had an amazing dive and the highlight was a seahorse ! He
could not stop talking about it . I am glad to see this destination get recognition .
Sea Dwellers

Good stuff! With all the emphasis on sinking ships for artificial reefs (way cool, but expensive), I wonder what the cost comparison would to install a bunch of concrete pilings, like those under a pier? Blue Heron Bridge in Florida, Frederiksted Pier in St. Croix...

Richard.

Interesting video for sure!! I always did notice more common octos vs the long armed ones. I’m a west sided when snorkeling but I’ll have to spend some time on the east side to spot some long arms soon.

I just wish the spot wouldn’t get so much attention. I once had to shelter a seahorse I was showing to some young kids because once they seen it they stayed corked on the surface kicking sand all over him.

Good stuff! With all the emphasis on sinking ships for artificial reefs (way cool, but expensive), I wonder what the cost comparison would to install a bunch of concrete pilings, like those under a pier? Blue Heron Bridge in Florida, Frederiksted Pier in St. Croix...

Richard.

I believe a lot of it has to do with the proximity to the Gulf Stream and the constant inflow/outflow of the inlet. If you put bridge pilings in the middle of the ocean I don’t think it would have the same effect.

Drrich and Nick: as an FYI: in the gulf near Destin they've sunk concrete rubble and its pretty amazing the things one can find. Frogfish, mantis scrimp, nudi's, juvenile angels and butterflies, arrowcrabs, bennies, etc etc. Some of the rubble has been down for 40+ years so has attracted a lot of sea life, not unlike a deep version of BHB.

Richard.

Given that salt water is quite corrosive to metal, even allowing that ships (the hulls, anyway) were made for it...wonder what the 'life expectancy' is of such structures (wrecked ships vs. concrete pilings) if not activity maintained?

I'm thinking that as much as we hear about habitat loss, damage to coral reefs, etc..., while placing artificial structures in sandy areas to provide habitat is no cure-all, it might be a step in the right direction.

Good to hear about Destin's success.

Richard.

In my home county (Pinellas County, FL) there are 41 artificial reefs. Some are actively maintained by groups that get together and remove fishing debris (line etc). They're the things to dive or fish in this area, but none of them compare to blue heron bridge. Artificial reefs do attract lots of critters, but I agree with Nick that BHB is something special.

Offshore Reefs: http://www.pinellascounty.org/reef/pdf/reef-map.pdf
Inshore Reefs: http://www.pinellascounty.org/reef/pdf/inshore-reefs.pdf

One of the more interesting artificial reefs is comprised entirely of old toilets.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom