underground lake in new mexico???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tardmaster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a student looking for a diveable underground lake that she has heard of in New Mexico. supossedly near I-10. Does anyone know of such a place?

I don't know which one you are specifically referring to, but I do know there are several sumps in the southwest. Most, if not all, of these are very silty and lead to overhead areas that require special training. They also require a bit of a hike through dry cave carrying all of your gear.

It's not near I-10 - (I-10 mostly just cuts across the SW corner of NM) but there's the Blue Hole:
Santa Rosa, New Mexico : City of Lakes

Last edited:
Thanks...i'll pass it along.

Perhaps she might be talking about Balmorhea in Texas? Is starts as an underground spring in the Davis Mountains but I know of no lake.

It's not near I-10 - (I-10 mostly just cuts across the SW corner of NM) but there's the Blue Hole:
Santa Rosa, New Mexico : City of Lakes

We often dive Blue Hole which is a sinkhole, and other than overhanging walls, it is far from an underground lake.
If she is envisioning a cavern, like the Bon Terre mine in MO, then I have heard of nothing.

There is a large underground lake just off of I-10 on the continental divide, it's part of an ongoing gold mine so permission is next to impossible to get unless you happen to know the current lease holder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom