undergarments with bc for bouyancy NOT drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noshow

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for feedback from those who dive their BC for bouyancy, NOT their drysuits as PADI and some others recommend.

I am in the market for a new undergarment for diving in BC waters ranging from 40 - 55 F.

1. If money were no object it would be the DUI 400g thinsulate
2. Buddies wear weazle but do you need air to get the most thermal protection out of them?
3. This board loves the softwear but I don't know of anyone up here diving them.
4. ?

Can i get some feedback from those who dive their suit snug and use thier bc for bouyancy? Ideally it would be nice to hear from someone who has tried 2 or more of the options listed here.

I've used the DUI 400G (new style, the burgundy one) for a handful of dives now. I haven't used the Weezle or the other one. So far I am extremely happy. I get cold pretty easily and what I've found is in conjunction with argon for suit inflation, it would take A LOT to make you cold in this. I have been down to the high 40s and I thought it was still in the 60s.

I've had leaks in my suit and I didn't even notice them until I took the suit off. the 400G doesn't retain any water.

Also, if you are diving double steel tanks, the buoyancy of the DUI 400G goes a long way to offset the weight.

All in all, extremely satisfied with my purchase. Only complaint is the price, but in my experience, you get what you pay for.

Andy's Undies make undergarments in a variety of weights, they maintain pile nicely at depth, and when you get condensation, they keep the moisture away from your body.

Just for the record, PADI recommends that you use the BC for buoyancy, particularly on "deep" dives ( > 60 ft) . Reason for this (and this is my opinion, not fact) is to account for the compression that occurs in neoprene drysuits. I dive trilaminate, only use the Drysuit, and I've never had an issue. I believe it's a question of what works for you, and I'm not preaching one way over the other here, for all those waiting to flame on this topic.

~W

I have not used any of the undergarmets that you mentioned. I have a bare fleece that I use for 45F and above. If its colder than that I layer it with a light thinsulate underwear. I've been as cold as 34F and am a bit chilly (maybe will add more for those) but in the temps you have stated have been more than comfortable.
I use only enough air to keep the squeeze off in the suit.

Back
Top Bottom