Undergarment for warm water drysuit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ostsee Taucher

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am planning my first non-tropical summer dive (water temp. 72F/22C) next week.

Exposure suits in my wardrobe are, however, only a 3mm wetsuit and a shell drysuit.

For me, 3mm wetsuit is not an option in that temperature, so I want to dive in the drysuit as far as that can be reasonably comfortable. (Otherwise, I will rent a 5mm wetsuit.:rolleyes:)

Do you think dry suit diving in that temperature can be comfortable if adequate undergarment is chosen?
What undergarment do you recommend?

I wear a drysuit in temps from 40 degrees to 82 degrees F and love it. I've been known to wear a drysuit in an 81 degree F pool when teaching (although I was in the water for the whole day).

It's just a matter of how much undergarments you put on. If I was in your shoes I'd be wearing a Whites Mk1 with a long Mk1 top, and very thin DuoFold bottoms and top next to the skin.

Since it sounds like you don't have a set of lightweight undies, I'd reccommend just wearing a set of fleece pants and a light fleece jacket and you should be fine. Absolutely NO cotton.

Since everyone is so different in their temperature tolerance, you'll just have to pick something and try it.

All the best, James

I've done the caves in Florida (69 to 72 degrees) in a shell dry suit with a 200g Thinsulate undergarment, and I was very comfortable.

Thank you everybody. Now I'm going to dive dry with PP underwear but I want to be sure that thin underwear does not cause squeeze problem. I've been thinking thick undergarment is essential to avoid squeeze issue of shell dry suit.

Thank you everybody. Now I'm going to dive dry with PP underwear but I want to be sure that thin underwear does not cause squeeze problem. I've been thinking thick undergarment is essential to avoid squeeze issue of shell dry suit.

The air you put in the suit avoids the squeeze not the thickness of the undergarment. The air in the suit also reduces compression of your undergarment which reduces the insulation value.

The thickness and material composition of the undergarment controls the warmth or lack thereof.

kidspot (a SB member on Maui) used to dive his drysuit with just a thin set of polypro under it, if I recall correctly; at least, it wasn't any thicker than that. He thought it was great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom