Under Performing SAFT Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater

Contributor
Reaction score
We did some sleuthing and found interesting things about some SAFT batteries sold as new that would not power up our dive computers.

Read more here:
Under Performing SAFT Batteries - Shearwater Research

green-vs-silver-e1519238455398.jpg

the right battery doesn't look correct to me. was saft contacted to make sure the green top ones arent counterfeit? the second green top might just be a less horrible counterfeit, but not give the full capacity of a real saft ls14500.

From the article-

We also tested a different green top battery labeled "Made in China" and this one was able to sustain proper voltage under a 200 ohm load and it properly powered a Petrel 2 dive computer. So, just because a SAFT battery has a green top it does not necessarily mean that it will be defective. We have not encountered cases of defective batteries with a silver metal top. The more conclusive test to determine if you have a defective battery is to measure voltages with and without a load.

Counterfeit Chinese batteries are a pretty well known fact. They are absolutely rampant in the 18650 size; Ultrafire, GTL, and a number of others (anything claiming to have a capacity greater than 3500mA is guaranteed junk).
It's unfortunate but not surprising it may have spread to other lines and sizes.
Amazon is no longer a guarantee except as a possible way to return junk. Lots of the stuff they sell is straight from China. With an item like a single battery it's hardly worth the effort to bother returning. That green battery is ratty looking, looks counterfeit on appearance alone.

Last edited:
I still use the ones that the nice folks at Shearwater hand me at trade shows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom