Unbelieveable--I'm going to Truk!! and

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed on the Thorfinn in Truk 15 months ago. The boat, staff, and diving were great. My advise is do not plan on spending much time on land as (the island of) Truk is pretty run down and there are few restaurants, shops, and resorts. This was my first liveaboard and it was great. I also was Nitrox certified on the Thorfinn. If you deal directly with Capt. Lance and his Website, you may get a 10% discount.

I agree that time ashore on Truk is wasted.

"Hailstorm Over Truk" is out of print. I see one offered on Amazon for $295. Makes me wish I didn't lose the $20 one I purchased at the Truk Continental nine years ago. I was in touch with Klaus in 2000. He was working on a new edition of "Hailstorm", but has since passed away. While I didn't know him personally, he was gracious and friendly in our conversations.

You are going to enjoy this trip.

Barracuda2:
I would love to have some practical advise. This trip has been a dream of mine for more years than I care to think about. This is my first Pacific dive experience. I will be staying aboard the Thornfin in December. What did you learn from your Truk Trip? Anything you can tell me that will help make my experience better will be deeply appreciated. I have liveaboard experience as I have done several Carib Aggressors. I am an experienced diver with AOW, Nitrox cert. This is gonna be great!!! :luxhello:

Barracuda2

I'm heading there on Friday. I'll write a full report when I get back. I'm sure you've read the comments in the thread:

"Chuuk/Truk on the SS Thorfinn in two weeks -- Any Advice?"

I got some very good feedback from them. I'm really excited about my trip. I had to put this one together solo; none of my usual buds could go and I had a tight window of opportunity (I have three kids under 2), so when Daddy can go diving, Daddy does go diving! : )

See ya'll in about 3 weeks!

JoeL

Did the Odyssey last October. No restrictions, excellent trip.
Restrictions are made when there are less-experienced divers aboard.
Nitrox was used for ALL dives, the mix being determined by the diver. Very safe.
Dan Baily's "WWII Wrecks of the Truk Lagoon" is an excellent alternative to the out-of-print Lindemann book.

Can't comment on the Thorfinn, save to say that it had only one diver the week I was there. The Aggressor had six. The Odyssey, ten.

Easiest wreck, Fujikawa Maru
Deepest, San Francisco Maru
Most dangerous, Hoki Maru
Most interesting, Nippo Maru
Best night, Rio de Janeiro Maru

We did fifteen wrecks altogether, some a few times.

Enjoy!

Seadeuce

vladimir:
I agree that time ashore on Truk is wasted.

"Hailstorm Over Truk" is out of print. I see one offered on Amazon for $295. Makes me wish I didn't lose the $20 one I purchased at the Truk Continental nine years ago. I was in touch with Klaus in 2000. He was working on a new edition of "Hailstorm", but has since passed away. While I didn't know him personally, he was gracious and friendly in our conversations.

You are going to enjoy this trip.

vladimir- I haven't tried to acquire this book yet, but are you saying that it's not available even through a public library? Why would the book cost $295.00? It surely isn't some kind of rare book, is it?

Barracuda2

jjoeldm:
I'm heading there on Friday. I'll write a full report when I get back. I'm sure you've read the comments in the thread:

"Chuuk/Truk on the SS Thorfinn in two weeks -- Any Advice?"

I got some very good feedback from them. I'm really excited about my trip. I had to put this one together solo; none of my usual buds could go and I had a tight window of opportunity (I have three kids under 2), so when Daddy can go diving, Daddy does go diving! : )

See ya'll in about 3 weeks!

JoeL

I am REALLY looking forward to your trip report!! Please PM me when you get it on the board to remind me. I don't want to forget

Barracuda2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom