Una Una and Togeans Vs Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcak

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have not been able to find any recent threads talking about Una Una and the Togeans. I am wondering how the diving compares to Raja Ampat or other dive locations in Indonesia. Seems to be a much quieter spot with fewer divers but how does the coral and fish life compare? Looking at a trip this February.

I have lived in Jakarta for 14 years, know a ton of divers, and do not know anyone who has been to the Togeans...or at least anyone who talks about it. Im sure the diving is solid, but in the world of the internet, Instagram, booking one's own travel, and sites like Scubaboard, the idea of undiscovered gems in places like Indonesia probably isn't very realistic. If people are not making effort to head to the Togeans, Bira, etc... there are reasons why. I think it is safe to assume the diving isn't worth the effort. That being said, the adventure and other experiences could quite possibly be amazing. I love my adopted country, and there is far more to see here than just diving. However, if you are planning the dive trip of a lifetime and want to see the best Indonesia has to offer underwater, there is a reason why Raja Ampat is what it is. I hope that helps.

I have not been able to find any recent threads talking about Una Una and the Togeans. I am wondering how the diving compares to Raja Ampat or other dive locations in Indonesia. Seems to be a much quieter spot with fewer divers but how does the coral and fish life compare? Looking at a trip this February.

i've been to the togean twice... one in 2007 in walea and one in 2018 at unauna..... the diving was nice, viz very good with a good coral and fish life.... i like it, but nothing compared to komodo-alor-raja ampat....
The resorts in unauna in 2018 were very backpacker style... the way my stay was, I would not go back... the place is very complicated to reach and transport is not reliable at all... always in 2018 after unauna I went to tompotika and come back there again in 2019 because it was worth it.. a little gem with less travel nightmares than unauna :wink:

I have lived in Jakarta for 14 years, know a ton of divers, and do not know anyone who has been to the Togeans...or at least anyone who talks about it. Im sure the diving is solid, but in the world of the internet, Instagram, booking one's own travel, and sites like Scubaboard, the idea of undiscovered gems in places like Indonesia probably isn't very realistic. If people are not making effort to head to the Togeans, Bira, etc... there are reasons why. I think it is safe to assume the diving isn't worth the effort. That being said, the adventure and other experiences could quite possibly be amazing. I love my adopted country, and there is far more to see here than just diving. However, if you are planning the dive trip of a lifetime and want to see the best Indonesia has to offer underwater, there is a reason why Raja Ampat is what it is. I hope that helps.
I was in Raja Ampat in mid-November '22 and as I've mentioned earlier, IMHO it is being loved to death.

I found the diving in Triton Bay to have superior reefs, fish, nudi's and pygmy seahorses. Plus you don't have to share the experience with 100 of your closest friends ;-)

I was in Raja Ampat in mid-November '22 and as I've mentioned earlier, IMHO it is being loved to death.

I found the diving in Triton Bay to have superior reefs, fish, nudi's and pygmy seahorses. Plus you don't have to share the experience with 100 of your closest friends ;-)
Great post. I don't disagree with any of this. Triton Bay is very much on people's radar and hardly a secret. I know several who have made the trek. The only reason I have not pulled that trigger is timing. I am a teacher, and the only holiday where I have that kind of time off is Christmas (family obligations) and June/July (all closed). I should add money too. It ain't cheap. :)

I should add money too. It ain't cheap.
I know the answer would depend on the specifics of which operators one used, so I'm asking for a pretty wild guess. By the time you factor in air travel, land travel, the diving and accommodations, food, etc..., any idea how much more a trip with 10 days or so diving to Triton Bay would cost over a mid. range Raja Ampat liveaboard trip?

Put another way, if some time opened up and you could do either, how much more would you guess the Triton Bay trip would cost you?

'Cause Raja ain't cheap, either.

I know the answer would depend on the specifics of which operators one used, so I'm asking for a pretty wild guess. By the time you factor in air travel, land travel, the diving and accommodations, food, etc..., any idea how much more a trip with 10 days or so diving to Triton Bay would cost over a mid. range Raja Ampat liveaboard trip?
Just a quick glance at websites...

Looks like possibly two days of travel each way from Jakarta with overnights in Sorong or Kaimana.

Flights from Jakarta are about $800 USD on Batik/Lion/Wings
Two hotels about $100 usd.

Ten days/3 dives per day at Triton Bay Divers four double occ- about $3350 USD
Ten days/3 dives per day at Triton Bay Divers four Single occ- about $$4300 USD (Cough. I'll shut up.)

There are some marine park fees, tips, etc...

So for a couple? Maybe $4,500 per person? Sound right-ish?

Thanks. While it's a bit apples-to-oranges comparing a land-based resort to a liveaboard, the liveaboard might offer 3-4 dives/day (leaning toward 4, at least my trip), whereas TBD offers 3; TBD's base price for double occupancy is substantially cheaper, but a liveaboard will generally put a solo traveler with a same sex roommate (or if there's not one, not charge a single supplement), whereas with land-based resorts, it's often bring a roommate or pay a single supplement.

For Raja Ampat, it seems a common plan for U.S.-based divers is fly to Jakarta, overnight in a hotel (e.g.: FM7 Resort Hotel), fly to Sorong, overnight in a hotel (eg.: Swiss-Belhotel), then get on the liveaboard. Not sure whether most people would call that 1 day or 2 days of travel from Jakarta.

@JohnN - you've been to both. Did you notice a substantial difference in your overall trip prices between Raja Ampat and Triton Bay Resort? Was getting there and back more time consuming/more hassle?

While it's a bit apples-to-oranges comparing a land-based resort to a liveaboard, the liveaboard might offer 3-4 dives/day (leaning toward 4, at least my trip), whereas TBD offers 3;
You can still add more dives paid on a per supplementary dive basis (42-47€ per dive, 300€ or USD at the end of the stay if you like to dive your head off).

The thing is that while there is only one resort in Triton Bay, Raja Ampat offers many cheaper options and the diving could be quite as good as on a liveaboard. In these conditions Raja Ampat would win.
Though all things considered & thanks to their monopolistic situation in their own location, you should also compare a stay at Misool eco resort (cough cough...) to a stay in TBD. I would say TBD wins hands down.

a liveaboard will generally put a solo traveler with a same sex roommate (or if there's not one, not charge a single supplement
Lucky draw.
They'd rather market their itinerary until they find the missing piece of puzzle whom you will have to hear the snore or share the same toilet for a week.
Privacy or intimacy has a price : I'd always prefer to pay for it. One of your former president said : better be alone than to be in bad company (even though I don't have this issue).

Another thing to consider is the conditions are not always the best in Triton. Don't get me wrong.. it can be absolutely amazing, but it can also be very green with very poor viz and cold upwellings. That being said Raja can also have poor viz (just ask anyone who has been to the south in the last 6 months).

As a side note, there have been issues that have happened with the villages in the past that made it so liveaboards stopped going there all together. I have dove it with liveaboards but I think to really get the best Triton experience you should go stay at the resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom