Ultrasonic Cleaning Times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grimbot

Registered
Reaction score
I have a MK10 piston that has some corrosion at the base. I put it in the US with 1:30 SGC then 1:1 vinegar solution both for about 3 minutes. It came out pretty clean some corrosion remains. I'd like to hear from anyone if longer US times in 50/50 vinegar are harmful to a piston. How long is too long? I have a Crest US if that matters. Thanks.

upload_2021-2-15_17-6-47.jpeg

the US definitely matters as the more powerful it is, the less time it needs. I would soak it in boiling water for a while then try it in the ultrasonic again. If it doesn't, then you may just have to deal with it or you'll risk taking the chrome off with the vinegar

I have a MK10 piston that has some corrosion at the base. I put it in the US with 1:30 SGC then 1:1 vinegar solution both for about 3 minutes. It came out pretty clean some corrosion remains. I'd like to hear from anyone if longer US times in 50/50 vinegar are harmful to a piston. How long is too long? I have a Crest US if that matters. Thanks.

View attachment 642390
You can probably go another 3 minutes once or twice with minimal risk. My cheap US cleaner is not very powerful but I’ve had stubborn parts in there for two 8-minutes cycles in 50/50 vinegar solution in addition to a few cycles in Simple Green solution without any chrome damage. Give the corroded areas a good scrub with a stiff nylon brush (I bought a denture brush for this and it works great) or Scotch pad after a hot water soak to limit the time needed in US cleaner.

I didn’t really think about it but is the piston chromed or just Stainless steel. I assumed it was SS.

Some parts seems superficial as i scraped bits off but a few spots seem pitted. Its not a big deal. Just looking for additional guidance on how long I can zap the piston without damaging it.

Some parts seems superficial as i scraped bits off but a few spots seem pitted. Its not a big deal. Just looking for additional guidance on how long I can zap the piston without damaging it.
I don’t know for sure but I suspect you’ll get tired of running it in the US long before you can damage it.

Here is some rust

full.jpg

You do the piston and spring mechanically and with a stainless brush in a rotary tool

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom