Ultra Cold Water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DK_Scuba

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there, I just booked a dive liveaboard in Antarctica for December 2021. I am now in the market for a new drysuit for this trip as well as coldwater diving off Vancouver island where I now live. Are there any specific features that would be beneficial for the ultra coldwater diving of Antarctica that I should keep in mind?

Also same question for Regs, I have 2 sets of regs a pair of Sidemount Deep 6 regulators as well as a set of Zeagle Envoy II for my backmount set. They are all environmentally sealed but don't have much for heat sinks. Will those work for Antarctica as well?

Regs-The Deep6 will be fine and I'd choose those over the Zeagle. It's all about operator error if you figure out how to freeze one of those. If you haven't taken an ice diving course, I would recommend doing so.

Drysuit-get a heated vest... What do you have for a drysuit and undergarments now? also, get a heated vest.

Hi there, I just booked a dive liveaboard in Antarctica for December 2021. I am now in the market for a new drysuit for this trip as well as coldwater diving off Vancouver island where I now live. Are there any specific features that would be beneficial for the ultra coldwater diving of Antarctica that I should keep in mind?

Also same question for Regs, I have 2 sets of regs a pair of Sidemount Deep 6 regulators as well as a set of Zeagle Envoy II for my backmount set. They are all environmentally sealed but don't have much for heat sinks. Will those work for Antarctica as well?
Hello. Admittedly, I'm a D.U.I. proponent. (Although, there has been some upheaval in the last few years).
I had a D.U.I. TLS 350 that I dove for 18 years, I currently own a D.U.I. TLS 350 Military SEAL I think it's more about preference these days, as most drysuits are comparable.
( I prefer unrestricted flexibility hence the Trilaminate.)
The CLX450 and CF200X are both nice suits. The first page of their website has Heated dive-wear on it. I dove for Sea Urchins in New England for 4 years, (The season starts in November.) typically in 28 degree water for 96 minutes. I'm not sure what "Ultra Cold Water Diving." is? As the post headline. Anyway, @tbone1004 mentioned a heated vest...I at one time used battery operated socks.
I would contend that; It's no so much the drysuit but, the "Insulation Strategies."
Cheers.
DUI | Drysuits & Diving Equipment from Diving Unlimited International

Regs-The Deep6 will be fine and I'd choose those over the Zeagle. It's all about operator error if you figure out how to freeze one of those. If you haven't taken an ice diving course, I would recommend doing so.

Drysuit-get a heated vest... What do you have for a drysuit and undergarments now? also, get a heated vest.

For undergarments I have just picked up a CT200 polarwear extreme, this will be my first drysuit however. I've done a drysit dive and about a dozen cold water dives before but moving to Vancouver island in a week I plan to start diving multiple times a week so its more practical to buy now for my future plans. I'll definitely take an ice diving course this coming winter as well.

Hello. Admittedly, I'm a D.U.I. proponent. (Although, there has been some upheaval in the last few years).
I had a D.U.I. TLS 350 that I dove for 18 years, I currently own a D.U.I. TLS 350 Military SEAL I think it's more about preference these days, as most drysuits are comparable.
( I prefer unrestricted flexibility hence the Trilaminate.)
The CLX450 and CF200X are both nice suits. The first page of their website has Heated dive-wear on it. I dove for Sea Urchins in New England for 4 years, (The season starts in November.) typically in 28 degree water for 96 minutes. I'm not sure what "Ultra Cold Water Diving." is? As the post headline. Anyway, @tbone1004 mentioned a heated vest...I at one time used battery operated socks.
I would contend that; It's no so much the drysuit but, the "Insulation Strategies."
Cheers.
DUI | Drysuits & Diving Equipment from Diving Unlimited International

Great to know I will look into these thanks! Looks like I need to look into the heated options as well a lot more

For undergarments I have just picked up a CT200 polarwear extreme

I'm afraid that will be not enough. I did some diving in Greenland in 2°C, 35°F. Fortunately, it was in the summer.

I used a Santi BZ 400 + extra thermal undergarnments + a heated vest. This was ok, but my buddy had to quit after 15 minutes, wearing a heated BZ400.

My feeling is that manufacturers like to use the words polar and extreme, but you would be surprised how cold they are in extreme polar conditions :)

Drysuit with dry glowes, heated are big plus. Use merino wool undergarments, then undersuit either weezle extreme plus (has to be plus) and heated vest (if you want dive more than 30 mins) and weezle socks.
Even better to buy santi bz400 heated (weezle is warmer passive) and weezle socks. Undergarments as merino wool. Get big battery, 24 ah minium or 2x 12ah. Check out rbdivers scaleo heat for hearing control.
Rebreather will help.
Also get over weighted with lead, so you can keep more air in suit.
Cant say about regulators, but we prefer apeks and poseidon here.

I dive 4-6 Celsius waters.

Surely it already depends on your existing tolerance with the cold?

I’ve got a lot of Santi kit and I’ll regularly dive wearing half the thermal protection than that of my fellow team and I normally can go longer.

My personal thresholds for cold water if I knew I was doing a 60min+ dive:
Down to 10’C I’m happy in thin leggings and a long sleeved top or a Santi Flex190 undersuit.

Down to 5-6’C same as above and I’ll sporadically use a heated vest for the last 20-30mins.

less than 5’C I’d use my BZ400 and less than 3’C I’d add the heated vest too.

But... I’m also comfortable diving 24’C water in a shorty wetsuit so I realise that I’m unusual with my tolerances.

It also depends on what sort of diving you are doing.

if I were planning 20mins of static deco then I’d definitely allow for this in wearing an extra layer or adding the heated vest for this portion, I tend to always do swimming deco though because I do get cool fast when not moving.

"cold tolerance" doesn't really protect anyone from hypothermia, thus you'll probably need thick undergarments anyway.
Runtimes matter a lot. I am ok for 120+ minutes in 3-4C water with merino layer (xerotherm is even slightly warmer), Santi heated vest and Santi bz400x.
And you must have a drysuit that doesn't leak.

Don't forget the hat. Quiet some difference in them too. And fit is even more important.

Scientifically speaking... Ocean water at it coldest will only be 28.4 degrees Fahrenheit. Colder than that and it's a solid. Fresh water that number is 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom