Ultimate Velcro Double Bands For Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MudDog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried or had any experience with AquaExplorer's (Capt. Dan Berg's) "Ultimate Velcro Double Bands" for doubles?

http://www.aquaexplorers.com/double_bands.htm

In theory it would be a nice way to simplify my tanks. Rather than having multiple sets of doubles and singles I could use the same tanks as either singles or doubles depending on the particular need (and thus requiring less tanks). Too good to be true? How would you rate the pros and cons. (ex. cons: 2 SPGs, extra vigilance...switching back and forth between 2 tanks to maintain air/weight balance, etc.)

Also, was wondering if anyone had ever requested modular valves when initially ordering PST tanks. I understand this can be done and was wondering how much more this would be roughly.

Thank you.
Rick

Velcro bands just pose too many safety issues to contend with, and the result of an issue or failure would most like end in unpleasant consequences. I have seen way too many people do this, and honestly with very few incidents, but it only takes 1 oops to make the difference. The argument you mentioned of not dedicating your tanks to a single purpose is understandble, but you just need to ask yourself is it potentially worth my life to save a few hundred bucks.

You decide what you fee is best and compare benefit vs cost.

They look too nasty to even think about, I will stick to my Zeagle SS bands, besides with a manifold it is just much much hassel to take twins apart, hence dedicated double and single rigs.

For $225.00, you could get a manifold and a set of bands.

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, after I submitted my post and I began to think more about the banded singles concept...I started to see many reasons why doubling-up two singles is potentially just too risky.

Proper gas management becomes more complex (switching back and forth to keep gas burn equall and thus weight equal) and the inability of one regulator to access all the gas in both cylinders should a problems arise, makes the concept just too risky.

Although the concept initially seemed interesting, there clearly are no safe shortcuts (financial or otherwise).

Thanks again!
MudDog

Back
Top Bottom