UK SL4 eLED L1 vs XTAR D06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeynl

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, looking for my first dive light. I will need a primary light. I tend to only dive in the tropics, clear water.

I was considering the UK SL4 eLED L1 as I have dived with it before and it was excellent, but came across and XTAR D06 which seems great as well. Any ideas?

I have had no problems with the UK SL4 it is a great light

I bought a SL4 eled L1, and flooded it on the first dive. It was probably my fault, since I was in a hurry and pitched the directions, loaded the batteries, and splashed. I sent it in to UK for repair, and they just sent me a new one. How's that for service! Otherwise, this is my fourth UK light, and they've always been good and dependable. Plus the SL4 eled is small and bright.

I have the D06 (actually I have 2 and use them as my backups, due to the adage "3 is 2, 2 is 1, 1 is none"). They are 820 lumens at full power... I never run them at full power when in dark areas, but it comes in handy when trying to attract buddies attention during the day, or to use to point something out during the day. The lion rechargeable batteries can be charged from a USB port - and it comes with a car charger - bloody handy when you realise you forgot to put the batteries on charge before your dive. It also comes with a spare switch and o-rings - something a lot of torches dont... and they are built like tanks.

I use two of them regularly [as primary] for cave diving....One on the back of each hand w/Oxycheq holders....I like the 400 lumen and the 10+ hr. burn times....Never had any problems w/them and really like the simple on-off switch, despite what I've read from other divers.......I also carry a DRIS 'Shorty' 1000 lumen that I use w/lithium batteries as a back up.......Just don't like the twist on-off......But it's a compact lite and very close to the rated 1000 lumen....Tested it out a few weeks ago....3 straight days of cave diving, two, 1-1.50 hr. dives each day on continues full power.....Same lithium batteries and lumens never dropped off.......Prices are comparable between the two brands, batteries easy to get [C's and AA's ] and if you don't mind twist 'on-off' the 'Shorty' at 1000 lumens is a nice lite....Use lithium batteries, they last longer than alkaline batteries the manufacture did their tests with.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom