UK lights threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone had their UK light threads let go? My UK-6 yellow/green (I guess I'm color blind) recently quit holding the bezel on. I checked the body to a new bezel and it was the body that let loose. UK is sending me a new body (though I need to check on it, its been two weeks). Once I get the replacement what would you all suggest I do to prevent this from happening again? TIA.

I'm into about a month of waiting for the body to come in. I tried calling a few mins ago and no answer. I been told twice it was on the way.

I use UK's regularly [several different models] and never had a problem.....Don't know if this will help but I always store them w/o the batteries [and the lens cap off].......I use a small [very small] amount of silicone grease on the threads, 'o' rings and switches.....A friend uses Teflon tape [the thin stuff plumbers use] on their threads......I've been using them [the LED's ] for years over canister lights and they've been trouble free....

I tried to use the Teflon tape but it just didn't hold. Maybe a few more wraps would do. I'm thinking of punting and just getting the DRIS flashlight. In disappointed in UK and toss definitely will color any more purchases from them.

Sent from my DROID X2

Don't crank it down so hard, perhaps? The O ring makes the seal - not gorilla fisting it . . . much like a tank O ring, you should not crank the crap out of it.

I have a UK1200 that is at least 14 years old, and looks like new . . .

- Tim

The way I discovered the thread let lose was when I walked up to where it was laying and found the head had popped off. I had been in some very cold water prior to that. In another life is was a QC engineer in a plastics molding section of a factory. Plastic will change dimensions. I've looked at the threads they aren't buggered. The head also fits other bodies correctly.

Sent from my DROID X2

Got the replacement body today. i can feel and see a difference between the two sets of threads. The head is snugger going on before the threads hit. I'm still going to be cautious using it for a while. I'm also going to store it with the head off as well. I suspect the DRIS flashlight will turn into a more commonly used light tho.
And no swag for waiting so long either. Bummer.:(
Sent from my DROID X2

I use UK's regularly [several different models] and never had a problem.....Don't know if this will help but I always store them w/o the batteries [and the lens cap off]

This is probably a good idea. I have tried light silicone grease and no silicone grease on my threads and my bezel is VERY difficult to remove.
I paid particular attention not to overtighten last time and just today the bezel was very difficult to remove. Actually had to set bezel against a curb with my foot on it and rotate the light to loosen the bezel. Hard to believe it's the o-ring holding things up, gotta believe it's the threads. Other than this the light has been great and apparantly these led bulbs have a very long life.
P.S. I have the UK C8 model eled light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom