UK HID Light Cannon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I know they are not only for cave/wreck diving. A couple of my friends use them and we do mostly open water diving. They are just a tad bit of overkill for most open water and/or night diving. Especially when you look at the cost of them compared to the Light Cannon.

but not really by choice!

Two days ago we were diving and my C8 Sunlight decided that it wanted to depart its lanyard - while turned off :(

I didn't discover it missing until we got to the bottom and I reached for it to light up the inside of the wreck (to see if there was anything I could stick a spear into :)) and found it missing, the clip pulled open.

Note to self - the retracting lanyards are ok, but the clips they put on them are not good enough. Replace with SS split rings, locking carabiners or bolt snaps.

Grrr....

There's a perfectly good C8 Sunlight laying in 100' of water near here, with new batteries even. :(

Oh well.

Now, I have my eye on it. I could see where you might run out of batteries in two dives. We usually dive a couple of night dives in the Caymans and those dives are over a hour each, so with a two to three hour burn time, you dont have alot of time. The Light Cannon is lighter and much more powerful than our four D cell "Brite lite". The LDS owner did tell me that as far as recharcable goes, they dont last that good in this light. He said he uses this light all the time but he just buys several pks of Cs and has alot better life from alkaline than rechargable.
LP has one for sale for 150.00, that beats the LDS by 50.00. Thats seems like alot of difference. Would your LDS compete?
Caymaniac :confused:

My LDS wouldn't compete...that's why I bought online.

I just purhcased the Light Cannon and used it on a dive trip to the Cornardos in San Deigo. I am using the 4500MH NiMH recharagble battaries with no problem. Did a total of 4 dives with a total bottom time of 3 hours. The batteries lasted fine. I would assume 3 hours of burn time using 4500 MH high capacity recharagble batteries. The light cannon is the best light for the money! MY LDS was charging over $200 for it. I purhcased it from leisurepro for $140. Soryy LDS!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom