UK D8 Modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bevansmw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just curious if anyone has done any mods to this light, I have one with the standard Xenon 14W lamps and just thought I'd see if I could get some input on possibly converting it to an LED lamp. I'm an electronic tech by trade and am familiar with circuitry and soldering and the like, just wanted to see if anyone has done it and perhaps sources to purchase materials.

I've thought about getting the rechargable kit that puts a 30W Xenon lamp in it, but that runs about $180 to upgrade my $50 light. Thought I might get more out of some LEDs and spend less or a similar price.

There is plenty of room inside the lamp, being it fits 8 D cells inside, I guess the big drawback is the plastic case and heat produced by LEDs. Any input or sources for parts is appreciated :)

Here's what I'm thinking about using so far:

Aluminum Reflector With Copper Base for SSC P7 LED Emitters
(52.8mm*41.5mm) SKU: S006508

SSC P7 8x7135 2.8A Circuit Board SKU: S004338

Should I go with:

SSC P7 DSXOJ LED 21mm STAR SKU: S005939

or

SSC P7 CSXOI 12W LED Star SKU: S004466

How much more heat does the D generate over the C?

Not sure how to go with batts, NiMh or Li-Ion? NiCd? I saw they reference being able to drive the light off of a single D-cell Li-Ion for 3+ hrs, (the 5000mah cell).

Here's what I'm thinking about using so far:

Aluminum Reflector With Copper Base for SSC P7 LED Emitters
(52.8mm*41.5mm) SKU: S006508

SSC P7 8x7135 2.8A Circuit Board SKU: S004338

Should I go with:

SSC P7 DSXOJ LED 21mm STAR SKU: S005939

or

SSC P7 CSXOI 12W LED Star SKU: S004466

How much more heat does the D generate over the C?

Not sure how to go with batts, NiMh or Li-Ion? NiCd? I saw they reference being able to drive the light off of a single D-cell Li-Ion for 3+ hrs, (the 5000mah cell).

With a driver, you'll need about 5.x volts to drive the LED at 3amps. This I tested with my variable power supply. So, you can build a 7.4 volt pack with 2 LiIon batteries or you can build about a 6 volt pack with 5 NiMH batteries. The rest is how much burn time you want. If you want 1 hour, you'll need at least 1Ah (1000 mah) pack and so forth. This is theoretical and in actuallity you'l need a bit more.

I doubt than you can get 3 hours with a driver and only 5000 mah when the LED is rated at 3000 ma at full power. Of course, you may be able to get the three hours... two of which may be dim or at a lower power setting.

Batteryspace.com has great battery packs already pre-made. You may want to check them out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom