UK 1200 Bulb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fxrguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an old Underwater Kinetics 1200 "UK 1200" dive light I bought back in 1992. It works fine but I would like to purchase an extra bulb for it ""just in case". Does anyone know what bulbs these old lights uses?

Thanks, I've been trying to locate some information on these old lights but with limited success. I'll give them a call this week. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing?

If you find any LED retrofit setup that fits in the UK 1200 and puts out more light, please post details. I saw someone had converted an old UK 1200 to use 6 LEDs over on CandlePowerForum, but I don't have the time and interest to tackle something like this myself

geoff w - I saw that link also and thought the same thing. The guy should be on somebody's design team for sure. The old UK 1200 worked good enough for me in the past and I'm sure it will do just fine in the future. I'm just not the kinda guy that needs the newest and coolest gear out there much to the consternation of my LDS's. About the only thing I may buy new would be a BCD. My old Seapro Atpac died about 10 or 12 years ago and am leaning toward a DSS BP/W but will go used if I can find one. Thanks for the reply!

Hey fxrguy, I also have an old UK1200 dive light I have been trying to get a lamp for. Check what you have before you order the above one. Mine has a candelabra base (screw-in)
not the two pin type that scared silly has shown. I contacted Underwater Kinetics direct and they said my type of lamp is discontinued and have recommended buying a new light.
This is a little frustrating as my light is in really good shape and worked great for what I needed. I really don't want to spend another 100.00 on a new light.

You mean UK is not supporting their light anymore? No help at all???

Their response was quick, just not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping they could give me the wattage of the lamp and I would search from there. They have offered me two lights, the D8Xenon or C8xenon as alternatives. From what I am reading, people are just discarding the UK1200. There is one really interesting conversion on the net to a set of six leds, but
there is not enough detailed information on how to do it.

Better yet, I wonder if you could get just the socket for the two pin bulb - replacing the screw-in socket on the 1200 should be pretty trivial, and then it would take the current lamps. About the only variable would be fore/aft position to ensure correct focus, but a wee bit of trial and error should nail that pretty quickly . . .

No rush here (I still have two lamps for my 1200) but just like others, I feel that being denied a basic consumable part on an item with a "lifetime guarantee" is pretty much getting rear-ended . . . I guess they define "lifetime" by when they don't feel like supporting a product any more . . . :no:

- Tim

UK used to make an LED retrofit kit for that light that was sweet. I wish now I had picked one up years ago and converted mine. I'm looking for one of the retro kits myself. I plan to hit up UK and see what they recommend. If I have any success, I'll post it up here. Good luck to us both! :blessing:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom