Ugh the decisions are tough

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello SBers

At the moment I have a flight to Cebu in early November and have yet to book a return.

Originally my plan was to fly to Dumaguete and dive

Dauin (first visit),

Ferry to Tagbilaran and dive Alona (3rd visit), fly to Manila to dive Anilao (2nd visit) and depart form Manila for home.

Now I am looking at Southern Leyte and wonder if I should cut Alona or Anilao. Is S. Leyte worth the journey?

I would like to spend at least 5-6 days in each place and would like to fly home by December 1st or so. That would comfortably leave time for 3 locations.

For itinerary options:

Fly Cebu to Dumaguete, dive Dauin.

Fly Dumaguete to Tacloban, dive S. Leyte.

Fly Tacloban to Manila, dive Anilao.

OR

Ferry from Dumaguete to Tagbilaran, dive Alona.

Fly Tagbilaran to Manila, dive Anilao.

OR

Ferry from Dumaguete to Tagbilaran, dive Alona.

Ferry from Ubay, Bohol to Maasin, dive S. Leyte

Fly Tacloban to either Manila or Cebu for return home.

I enjoy macro but do enjoy walls and coral as well. I am pretty easy to please as long as I’m underwater. Oh and I will be traveling solo.
I am happy with never leaving a resort if the food and socializing is nice but am also up for going into town.

Thanks!

In three or four weeks, either looks like a manageable itinerary, if you are clear with yourself that you lose an entire, sometimes very long day with those transfers. E.g. Dauin to Padre Burgos, flights at 7 am (ouch, leave your resort at what, 4 am?) to Manila, onwards to Tacloban by noon, drive the rest of the afternoon to PB... or fly out at 10 or 11 and get to Tacloban late afternoon, drive four hours in mostly the dark ewwwww. If wishing to do Anilao+Tacloban, maybe do Anilao first????
The ferry from Ubay to Bato (not Maasin, as far as I know) would be a scenic adventure as you drive across Bohol to Ubay from Panglao. Relax and make the journey about the sights along the way?

How about this---Cebu to Tagbilaron by ferry--dive Alona, ferry to Dumaguete---dive Dauin, flight to Manila--dive Anilao--back to Manila and home. Cuts out a flight from Cebu to wherever or to Tacloban which would probably involve a flight to Manila and then your flight to Tacloban

I was looking at ferry from Cebu to Maasin, ferry from Hilongos to Ubay, taxi to Alona. Ferry to Dumaguete (Dauin) fly Dumaguete to Manilla (Anilao).
Only one flight.

Question is do I cut one out or shorten dive days to fit them all in... I already crossed out Puerto Galera. I was aiming for 5 dive days each.

One day to transfer between each of the places, one night to be in either Cebu or Manila before your flight home (seriously, don’t neglect that safety margin), minimum five days’ diving each spot = 24 days minimum for the four dive spots. Probably 25 as you will likely have to spend your first night in Cebu with your latest itinerary. With three destinations, you can spend six nights at each spot and be home a day or two earlier.
All your destinations should offer what you want, with a slight priority for Dauin and Anilao as they offer fine macro plus the other stuff.

FT:
One day to transfer between each of the places, one night to be in either Cebu or Manila before your flight home (seriously, don’t neglect that safety margin), minimum five days’ diving each spot = 24 days minimum for the four dive spots. Probably 25 as you will likely have to spend your first night in Cebu with your latest itinerary. With three destinations, you can spend six nights at each spot and be home a day or two earlier.
All your destinations should offer what you want, with a slight priority for Dauin and Anilao as they offer fine macro plus the other stuff.
Thanks. It’s always a question of going back to what you like (Alona, Anilao) and trying new places (Dauin, S. Leyte).

Has anyone an opinion on these options from S.Leyte to Alona?
8am ferry from Hilongos to Ubay plus 2 hour ground transfer
Vs
9:45am ferry from Maasin to Cebu and another ferry from Cebu to Tagbilaran

Oh hey, one other factor. November carries a typhoon risk. So:

-don't pay resorts up front, or any more of a deposit than you can afford to lose
- even more than usual for the Philippines, don't count on military precision for your travel plans, and be prepared to adapt to weather realities.

Look
How about this---Cebu to Tagbilaron by ferry--dive Alona, ferry to Dumaguete---dive Dauin, flight to Manila--dive Anilao--back to Manila and home. Cuts out a flight from Cebu to wherever or to Tacloban which would probably involve a flight to Manila and then your flight to Tacloban
Looks like that will be my itinerary. I assume if my flight is “supposed “ to land before noon, I’ll be able to make it to Alona the same day...
I used to stay at Seapearl if Alona but it’s so expensive now.over $100/nt.
I need to find a new hotel. There are some new ones outside of town that look promising. Anyone been to Ohana?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom