U/W Print Film *Suggestions Please*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradfordD

Registered
Reaction score
I'm leaving on a dive trip next week and have been asked by a few friends to buy the negative film for them... The type of U/W point and shoot cameras they have allow for 200 or 400 speed film. In addition, it looks like the strobe power on their P&S cameras are very weak - not a very good combination for novice shooters and U/W photography...

They want to only shoot negative film... I shoot only slide film (Velvia and EBX) and have never shot ISO-200 print film.

So, I thought a good choice would be the "Konica Centuria Super 200"... Problem is, I've checked all over and can't find it... I checked with B&H, but they have the "Konica Centuria 200" - not the "Super" in 200.... Is the older non-Super significantly different than the newer Super?

Anybody know of any place where I can get some shipped to me by the end of next week?... Photo Lab names or phone numbers or web addresses would be very helpful at this point.

If not, how about any other good 200 or 400 print films that minimize blues and maximize reds and magentas?... Kodak Royal Gold 200 or Kodak Professional Supra 400?

--Brad

"Kodak Royal Gold 200 or Kodak Professional Supra 400"

Yes, that would be my two choices. Supra is the "professional" version of Royal Gold and is the finest grain color print film I have used. I've used mostly 100.

I've found that the 400 speed Kodak is a lot more forgiving than the 200, especially underwater. We shot 13 rolls of Kodak Royal Gold 400 and only had to pitch 35-40 photos.
Ber :bunny:

With my Auto35 point & shoot, the camera will take 100, 200, or 400 speed films. The DX encoding on the file canister is used to signal the camera at what light level the camera's internal strobe is to be fired. Once fired, everything is fixed.

My experience has been that with my external strobe which dumps it's full charge is too powerful in the 3-6' recommended range for the camera if I'm using anything other than ISO 100 film. The problem I'm having is actually finding ISO 100 film in 36 exposure rolls.

As for slide films, if you're using a point & shoot, don't bother. You need the extra exposure lattitude negative film gives you to compensate for not being able to control the exposure when the picture is taken.

I have the MX5II point and shoot camera...what speed film is best? I've read that 100-200 is good, but I'm not understanding this concept. I would think that 400 speed would be best. Can someone clarify this for me please. Thanks. By the way...I'm a first year diver and underwater photographer (FYI)

Andrea

400 speed film is considered 'fast' film, (the higher the number the 'faster' the film), and it's really not needed underwater. It will give you very 'grainy' results. ASA100 or 200 are the best for u/w. In all my years of using film, I always used ASA100 film. I'd be more concered that you get a good color saturation film, like Kodak Royal Gold, than the speed of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom