U/W Housings that take a 48mm wet lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I'm wondering if any U/W housings currently utilise an in-built (or converter) for a 48mm wet lens set-up?

I've got some nice Epoque macro and wide-angle 48mm lenses that I used to use with my Oly SP-350. Thinking about getting a new system and was wondering what housings would be compatible if I wanted to make use of the wetlenses.

Cheers,
Andy

For the macro work, you could use a 67-48 mm step down ring and mount them on pretty much any standard 67 mm housing adapter. For wide angle, I think you will have some trouble since most newer systems are aiming at 67 mm standard. Of course if you got a Recsea housing that has a 44 mm thread then a 44-48 step up ring would work perfectly and you get to use only the good part of the lens.
Bill

If it worked on an SP-350, it should be 46mm, not 48mm. You can step up or down. I used a Sea & Sea 15mm for a Nik V on my SP with a 46-58 step ring. There may be a difference due to spacing with the step ring on. I had to zoom slightly to avoid vignetting (dark circle around the corners of the pic). Some housings have a 67mm thread. I ended up using the Inon AD system on mine because it's easier to get on and off. Canon housings don't even have a round port. You need a special adapter even for the AD type lenses. Most of the aftermarket housings for P & S cameras seem to accept a 67mm lens, which would require a step down ring. Think about what camera you want, then check the available housings and adapters.
Some of the newer cameras don't work well with existing add on lenses, especially WA, due to native 26mm lens instead of 28mm on older models. You should investigate that as well. An option would be to sell your lens and pick up one that works with your new set-up.

Back
Top Bottom