U/W camera out fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
ok all dont look like I am going to be able to afford a digital camera and want to take picture but can not spend a fortune at most 130 feet rated but would like to be able to take some good picture .
I understand that most cameras you will need a strobe but is it absolutly necessary at first .
my wife wont let me spend no money just went through dive master so she hum said I spent too much all ready thanks please list make and models please thanks and any links wear to get best prices thanks

I guess it depends on what your expectations are. You can take UW pictures without a strobe using one of 2 options. Either use the available light or the internal flash. Neither are good choices at depths greater than about 10 ft (in CLEAR water only) and the use of the internal flash is usually worse than no flash at all due to backscatter, the small glitter looking stuff in the pictures. Your best bet is to hold off on the camera for a while and buy a camera/strobe package, you save several bucks that way. I can promise you you WILL end up with a strobe if you want good photos so you might as well save the bucks up frount. As to models, the MX-10 and the Auto 35 come to mind. I have shot a lot of film in my MX-10 and have had some experience with a Auto35, both are well built and not too expensive. Whatever camrea you decide on, make sure it has different lens available, esp wide angle and macro. Good used cameras come on the market from time to time, that may be a option for you......Hummmmm maybe I can talk the wife into a digital and housing for Christmas....

Well, if you are a DM now, how 'bout "will work for camera"??

good idea, but you can go digital quite cheap!

you could get the Olympus pt-010 housing for £220 ($220 - $290)

and pick up a second hand Olypus 2020 or 2040 camera and then in a year or 2 you could get a 4040.

the 2040 would be the best one of the 2 as it has an excellent lens and is very bright which reduces the need for a flash so much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom