U/W Camera Insurance for Canadians

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
Yay! I finally ordered an u/w setup for myself -- Canon A720 IS with matching housing. The next step is to think about insurance. I've read about DEPP here on SB and had a look at their website. Since they don't cover all of the states, I'm reckoning they don't offer coverage to those outside of the US. (I've emailed them anyway for more information just in case.) Any recommendations for Canadians? (I don't have home owners insurance so that's not a consideration.)

TIA! :)

I haven't seen any insurance similar to DEPP in Canada. We are too few up here. I've been diving an old Olympus 5060Z & housing for about 4 years. As long as you keep your O-rings clean and greased with silicone, you should be ok. I also bought some replacement O-rings after a couple of years just for peace of mind.

These P&S cameras become obsolete so quickly -- for what I paid for my Oly in 2004 I could now buy an entry level SLR. To me, it doesn't make sense to insure them as they are outdated so quickly. Now if I had a $3,000 SLR I might have a different view...

You have several options: you can get renter's insurance and schedule the items on this type of policy, or inland marine coverage for specific items. Check with an insurance agent near you. These usually provide better coverage at a lower cost than the SCUBA specific insurers.

If the value of your camera, housing, and strobes is under $1,000 or so, you may not want to get insurance. I don't insure my point and shoot, but do have coverage on my DSLR rig. Theft and flooding are two perils that are covered, but also things like dropping, damage from security personnel, etc are other reasons for insurance.

Good Luck,

Dan

Thanks for the replies! It's just a P&S setup (just over $400 CDN) so by the time I buy insurance and pay the deductible, it might not really be worth it.

I'm in Australia and covered by DEPP. So are several other friends. Hopefully they can get you an answer.

Wow! No one from DEPP responded to my email yet but this is promising at least. :wink: Thx, alcina!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom