Typical cost of DM course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil_218

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am considering beginning the PADI Divemaster course. From the research I've done already, I've found only a few LDS which post their prices for the course. Of the ones I've seen, it sounds as if $600 is an average price range for the course.

1. Is this a fairly standard cost for the this course or does it vary widely?

2. Have any of you heard of a "Pre-Application" specific to Texas residents? I've heard of it twice, but not sure what its about.

3. Is the DM application fee to PADI $120 or is this adjusted by the LDS?

Thanks.

On the wall at my LDS next to other courses and prices the Divemaster class is listed as $525.00 but i am sure it varies depending on where you are at, I doubt that there is a standard price for everywhere, so thats my guess- expect to pay around the $500-600 range, oh an not to mention the cost of each dive you make in order to reach the requirement of logged dives... hope this helps!

I think mine was $500 plus the DM crewpak. I don't remember what my app fee was.

I'm not in TX, so don't have a clue about the pre-app you mentioned.

1. in Australia the average price is around $1000, so considering the 1/1 exchange rate, you're doing well.
2. US specific... sorry can't help.
3. the membership fee to PADI in Australia is about that price, possibly a little more ($135?) so I'm guessing no. i can't recall exactly, but you fill in your CC details on the DM application for the PADI membership, so the shop isn't involved.

costs to also consider during the course are first aid kit which you need to buy or raid your home one to produce to the instructor and a spares kit which is the same deal.... if you're not a strong swimmer you need to get down to the pool and train, for the dive map you will need to purchase at your cost materials for the map. Also ask if the EFR course is included, IMO the internal PADI course isn't good enough and you should do a seperate "senior first aid" as it's called in Australia, 2-full day course, the PADI one is (if i recall correctly) 4 hours....

is the course pack included? is the instructor manual (which you need to purchase to complete the course) included....

you will also need to get insurance ($208p.a. for me) so consider that..

all up the advertised price for the DM course was $1000, i think i paid just north of $1600 when everything was said and done.

Last edited:
I paid $400 here in MA two years ago. The price included the crew pack. And I got free air for the duration of the course.

Texas does have a pre-application form that is required to be filled out. The application fee according to the price list is $81, and goes directly to PADI. Annual dues are $115.50 standard renewal, $100 online renewal and $94.50 automatic renewal.

Greetings Phil 218 it is $500-$600 most places I have seen.
The application fee for the DM to PADI covers paper work and your yearly insurance I am thinking.
You will need to yearly keep this current in order to be a working DM.
Some LDS cover this if you are working for them but be sure to have all the details worked out before you agree.
Consider all options carefully and then go for it!

Good luck,
CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Our price is $500 plus the cost of the DM crewpack. Yes there is a pre-application specific to Texas. It's form 10143-v102.

Once you finish all the requirements. You will have to fill out an extensive application. We get our DMC's to mail the form themselves. There is a spot for information for your credit card information for the fee itself. Straight to PADI.

$499 + books, here. I believe that dive master and instructor students can get a discount by helping out at the dive store.

The application fee for the DM to PADI covers paper work and your yearly insurance I am thinking.

I would check that... in Australia they are two different payments made to two seperate organisations (even if you take out the "PADI" insurance which is underwritten by Willis)

Back
Top Bottom