Typhoon Ursula: All Anilao dive boats grounded Dec 24 + PG transfers cxd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cephalopod2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal 1 was issued for Anilao by 05:00 local time Dec 24. As a result all Anilao dive boats are unable to travel and public and private transfers to PG are cancelled.

It’s still flat calm here in Anilao (10 AM) but apparently the local coast guard cancels all Batangas boat travel as soon as a Wind Signal is posted. You can track the latest updates here PAGASA.

PG apparently does not fall under the same local authority as it has been under a Wind Signal since last night but at least 1 op is running today.

Shore diving in Anilao is still allowed.

It does appear to be moving through pretty quickly though.

I've got a PG trip 27th-2nd, hopefully it will be in affected

I've got a PG trip 27th-2nd, hopefully it will be in affected

Local guess is by Dec 26 boats may be running again with the Wind Signal lifted. Apparently there were stranded people accumulating at Batangas port last night and this morning. We're seeing a few scofflaws out on the water but they don't appear to be dive boats.

If anyone else is stranded and interested in sharing a private transfer to PG as soon as the port reopens PM me.

@Centrals we were also at Buceo Anilao for the Christmas 2016 super typhoon. This storm looks a lot less dangerous for us, but a lot more inconvenient (last time dive boats were running the day before and the day after).

Yeah, I think boats will be running tomorrow. (Today is 25th, Christmas, in case anyone reads this later.)

If anyone else is stranded and interested in sharing a private transfer to PG as soon as the port reopens PM me.

Are you in Batangas now? I'm taking private from Berberabe on 27th. When is your planned return? PM me if you prefer.

Those who are spending Christmas in Boracay probably will have an unforgettable experiences.
Take good care.

Day and night the sea continues to be like glass in Anilao. All day yesterday we had blue skies. Today mostly cloudy but still flat seas. Anilao dive boats and transfers to PG still cancelled. Dive boats in PG seem to be running as usual.

I'm guessing this is what you're referring to @Centrals

Over 23,000 passengers are stranded on Christmas Eve Tuesday, December 24, due to the suspension of sea travel.

According to the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), the 23,789 stranded are in ports in Bicol, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Southern Tagalog, Northern Mindanao, Western Visayas and Southern Visayas.

Not good at all!!!

Passing or very close to the Island. There is no where to hire on the island, very similar to Malapascua.

Although Ursula had already cleared the Philippines, the Wind Signal for Batangas was not lifted at 05:00. It took until 11:00 on Dec 26 for it to be lifted so anyone without a house reef lost 2.5 dive days. With more and more storms outside official typhoon season, I cannot stress enough the risk the new coast guard procedure poses to Anilao boat dives in Oct-Dec. I feel for the dive ops, captains and dive staff who are on the losing end of this proposition. For the record, the sea was flat calm from start to end in Anilao.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom