Type of Steel Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WantToBe

Reaction score
I have three questions?

1) Are Faber, Pressed and Heiser different manufacture processes of steel tanks or Are they manufactures?
2) If they are manufactures which is better? If they are manufacture processes which one is better?
3) Are this good prices(see list below)?

The list below is the price break down of the steel tanks. I don't know what year the tanks are produced. I thought I run this through the board members for more info on this before asking the LDS about this tanks and buy thim.

Faber Low Pressure Cylinders
Volume Max. Pressure Color/Material Price
72 ft3 3,000 PSI (±10%) White $219.95
80 ft3 2,640 PSI (±10%) Black, Blue, White $232.95
95 ft3 2,640 PSI (±10%) Black, Blue, White $255.95

Pressed Low Pressure Cylinders
95 ft3 2,400 PSI (±10%) galvanized $289.95
104 ft3 2,400 PSI (±10%) galvanized $315.95
120 ft3 2,400 PSI (±10%) galvanized $339.95

Heiser Low Pressure Cylinders
40 ft3 2,400 PSI (±10%) White $199.95
104 ft3 2,400 PSI (±10%) White $289.95
120 ft3 2,400 PSI (±10%) White $319.95

Tanks All in advance, I mean Thanks :wink:

quick answers -- all are diff. manufacturers

Which is better.....depends on what you are looking for. IMHO, pressed steels are probably among the best due to their galvanized exterior finish (less apt to rust)

Prices -- not bad, but not the best I've ever seen either

LD - I am looking to get the steel 95 or 104 on this list. if it is a good price. If not than I will get the Luxfer NB80. Thanks for the info.

WantToBe
Check out http://www.divesales.com/ These guys have some decent prices on steel tanks. Pressed steel is the way to go if you're looking to buy steel tanks.:tree:Bob

Hi Wantobe

I can't say anything good or bad about Pressed Steel tanks. I have used Faber (sold by ScubaPro) for years and have always had good results.

Sometimes whats really important is on the inside, or should I say whats NOT on the inside. If you want a pretty galvinized tank go for it. If you want a cylinder that wont have rust on the inside Faber is the way to go. I dont care if its pretty I just think its more important not to breath rust. Ask around to people who have done vip work a long time. They know whats on the inside. Chances are that you'll never have to tumble a Faber either. In my opinion it's proably the best steel cylinder on the market .

The next argument you will hear is that paint chips and then rusts where as galv. doesnt. Pop off the boot of a well used Galv. tank. What do you see ? Galvinized coating never helped my garbadge can lids from rusting either. Faber is zinc coated, then sprayed with an epoxy primer, and then a thick polyurethane finish is applied.

DM13,

Hmmmm.....

As the owner of an OMS/Faber steel tank, I like your answer, but I was under the impression from comments I've seen elsewhere that the PST galv. process stands up to more wear and tear than Faber's. Perhaps I am getting EXTERIOR protection confused with INTERIOR protection.

I'd appreciate your comments on this.

-LD

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=1977

Up until about a month ago, I'd have sworn that OMS (Faber) were the greatest things since sliced bread. And then there was the crack... under the crack was rust... and more rust and more rust - the whole base of one of my doubles had rust hidden under the paint.
Right now I'm in the process of stripping and cleaning - a real pain since where the epoxy *is* adhered as it should be it's a bear to get off. I'm repainting with clear epoxy so I can see through it.
I also own PS 95's - older than the OMS's - that haven't a speck of rust, inside or out.
My steel 72 that's 30 years old (US Divers and I don't know who made it) has a little rust (a very fine coating of the inner surface) inside and none outside. That tank's needed one turning - at the 20 year mark.
Rick

LD -
I almost bought a Galv. tank because they looked like they would hold up good. My first concern is the interior. The outside is easy to monitor. I have read some post's that PST owners are complaining about the chaulky marks on their gear and band marks on the Galv. finish. I was in a shop when he was doing a VIP on a PST and he popped the boot and it wasnt pretty. Another time a buddy of mine got a brand new steel tank ( not Faber ) and he was told it would have to be whipped because of flash rust ( at his expense ) because some steel tanks arrive that way. I asked around , did some checking and homework and decided Faber was the way to go. At DEMA they had a cut away of steel tanks and there wasnt a spec of rust on the Faber. Hundereds of people must have touched those tanks and it still had no marks. Very impressive. I dont know if rust could ever make it to the lungs from a tank but why take the chance ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom