Type of entry in dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

What is the pro and con in each entry type, front, back or shoulder entry in dry suit?

What I found out is that the shoulder entry is ususally lower end model?

Thanks for your inputs in advance,

Hoosier

Shoulder entry suits are almost always less expensive than an identical suit with a self donning type zipper. The zipper is longer with a self donning design and I suppose they are perhaps a bit more expensive to manufacture.

The obvious advantage of a self donning suit is that you can put it on by yourself. But it does require a bit more shoulder motion and a diver with a shoulder injury or restricted range of motion may have some trouble getting into one. Also, in many self donning designs, the zipper extends below the waist and the zipper is subject to wear from the weightbelt and waist strap. This is reduced but not entirely eliminated with a flap protecting the zipper.

The biggest disadvantage of a self donning suit in my opinion is that the torso needs to be cut a bit longer than in a shoulder entry suit and fit is often not quite as good in the self entry suit.

Some models are just a bit too long and require you to bend your neck quite far forward and down to get into the suit. (if you have a neck injury, this design is not for you) Getting in the suit is usually worse than getting out as the underwear compresses a bit during the dive and you get a little more head room to get out. They tend to get more restrictive as the underwear gets thicker and a good fitting suit of this design will not be very tolerant of weight gain in the mid section.

Other self donning suits use a telescoping torso with the extra lenght folded over and secured with a crotch strap during the dive. They are easier on the neck to get into as you can lift the neck seal well clear of your head. But they have the extra lenght to deal with in the middle and may be a bit draggier in the water.

With a shoulder entry suit, you virtually always need assitance to zip it up (although a solo exit is possible) so it is a non starter if you are a solo diver. Also, the zipper across the shoulder can sometimes make the suit feel a bit more restrictive when moving your arms forward in front of you although this is normally less apparent in the water than on the boat.

There have been a few drysuits made with the zipper placed horizontally across the upper chest. This potentially offers a self donning suit with the shorter torso and better fit of a shoulder entry suit. In practice, it is possible to get into one by yourself, but it is difficult. And unfortuntely, the placement of the zipper causes more resistance wehn moving your arms forward than any other design as the zipper does not fold on itself and is essentially in the way when you move. I don't see this as ever really catching on.

It used to be that the longer self donning zipper cost more to replace than a shoulder entry zipper but last time I checked the cost was the same ($235) regardless of the zipper.

So my thoughts are that if you dive solo and really need a self entry suit, it's worth the money. Otherwise, save some bucks, and get a potentially better and more streamlined fit by staying with a shoulder entry suit.

I tried both. I now use self donning. Just my preference. I did notice that you still put your feet in first with either type.

seabat:
I tried both. I now use self donning. Just my preference. I did notice that you still put your feet in first with either type.

Dang, I knew I was doing something wrong! :joke:

But I agree, my preference is also for self-donning.:thumb:

poseidon make a drysuit that the zipper goes around the neck and down one side of the suit. Never tried it or never saw anyone wearing it, but thought i'd mention it as an alternate to the back and diagonal zippers. It's called the Unisuit exclusive. www.poseidon.se

Tristessa:
poseidon make a drysuit that the zipper goes around the neck and down one side of the suit. Never tried it or never saw anyone wearing it, but thought i'd mention it as an alternate to the back and diagonal zippers. It's called the Unisuit exclusive. www.poseidon.se

Unisuit is wonderful and warm, (attached hood) neooprene seals.
but, it is a 7 mm full neoprene dry suit.
Bouyant so need extra weight,
the long zipper around neck is easy to get on and off, but when it is time to replace, ouch!

my zipper started to go around back of neck, instead of going for new zipper, I went with new suit. This time I went with DUI CF200 se (shoulder entry)

Only problem w/ shoulder entry you most often need help zipping up. But it is very easy getting into and out of.
From what I see of others w/ the "self donning" DUI's shoulder entry is much easier.

My only experience w/ self-donning is DUI and I woud agree it's very easy, once you learn the moves.

Took me two years to figure out that I need to put my hood on before I do up the zipper, however. Until that occurred to me I always needed help with it. Probably an individual fit issue, though.

I wouldn't say the 'telescopic' torso creates a significant amount of drag but again, I don't know any other d/s. In any case, my BC's waistband pretty much keeps that tight. HIH chris

One thing that I have noticed with all Diagonal front entries is that bigger people have a lot of trouble getting in and out of them, ours included. Rear entries or Horizontal front entries are the easiest to get in and out of, but horizontals tend to have more drag.

Tristessa:
Poseidon Unisuit Exclusive.
I have one and blew the zipper last Wed. I agree with Deeplou and can add that they take ages to dry and are very bulky.
Good that my new Drysuit is waiting to be picked up at the shop. :D

Hi.
I am also looking for a drysuit at the moment. So among others i've talked to the danish importer of Otter-drysuits. He told me that the diagonal front entry (called self-donning zipper) is NOT self-donning. If you close the zipper without help from a buddy you will drag it uneven and possibly wreck the zipper. The reason that some suits are made with the front entre is that a rear shoulder entry can restrict your arms if you want to manipulate your valves.

So if you often manipulates you valves, go for a diagonal front zip. If not, save the money and buy a regular shoulder entry suit.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom