Type of camera and film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikelindsay

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
We will be diving in Fiji, New Zealand and Australia and at this time are looking to buy a cheap camera in the $100-$250 Canadian range - can anyone suggest a brand/type of camera we should buy. Also what speed of film is best for underwater? Or do you recommend renting cameras from dive companies? Specifically - is it easy to rent in Fiji?

Thanks,

ebay rules! We have several MM35 and/or Hanimax Amphibian 35mm that we picked up on ebay is a good camera.. It has a built in flash and you can set the f stop to a
certain degree. As for film kodak royal gold 100 for good light condtions.
As far as renting goes - have to pass on that one.
Aloha,
Lisa

I think I could agree with Lisa on that one for someone just starting in film. However as much as it pains me to say if you can afford it digital is the way to go, a lot easier to learn. I would only go film if you intend to take photography serious and take the time to learn film.

At this time of year the Poor Knights should offer pretty good visibility so 100 ASA or 200 film might be OK. If you are in Wellington and looking to dive at a weekend send me a PM. Interesting kelp forests and good fun.

I had good experiences starting with renting. Just make sure to rent the right equipment. Decide before if you want macro or wide angle. Renting or buying a setup that isn't equipped for either is a recipe for bad photos.

Check eBay for the Sea & Sea MX10. It's an easy beginner camera that can yield good results. For an inexpensive new camera, look at the Ikelite Auto 35MD. At $150 US it's much cheaper than a digital camera and housing. Spend the extra money on a strobe. If you really want, get a strobe that will be compatible with digital cameras.

My preference is for Fuji Superia 200 print film. I like the extra speed over 100 and this film has excellent grain and color saturation.

Thanks everyone - any thoughts on 400 film? That was recommended at one of the dive camera sites.

mikelindsay:
Thanks everyone - any thoughts on 400 film? That was recommended at one of the dive camera sites.

400 will not be as nice as 100 speed, BUT might be your best alternative on an inexpensive film system with a small or non-existent internal flash.

We usually put 100 in the MX10s with the external strobe and it works very well.

I have to agree with cdiver2 - go digital if you can. Check out sales on previous models - Canon A70 instead of the A80 or Olys or whoevers...you can often pick them up very reasonably and you don't NEED the biggest MP count necessarily. Housings seem to stay about the same price. My favourite holiday happy snap camera is my tiny Sony 2MP (fits into the front pocket of my jeans!) and it gives me great results as I don't crop those family/friend in front of the statue pic and usually don't want to blow them up to bigger than 8x10ish (no housing).

Especially while travelling digital is the way to go, I think - film processing costs are considerable (here is $13.95 for one roll, single prints) in some areas and film can be pricey too...no 8 rolls for $10 like in the US. And the bulk of carrrying all the processed photos around is a bit much...

HTH

Back
Top Bottom