Tyler State Park?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy, y'all.....it's been a while since I've visited SB.

My wife and I recently camped at Tyler State Park. While exploring the small lake on by kayak, we noticed that the vis seemed to be pretty decent. There were also signs stating that diving was permitted, but I've never heard any diver mention this lake as a site. So, I'm asking....has anyone ever dived Tyler State Park and, if so, how was it?

Nice to be back, by the way. Great to see some some of the names I recognize are still here.

Guba! Good to see you!!! I actually haven't been on SB in a few years myself.... trying to get back into SB... .trying to reconnect with some fellow Swamp Divers.

About Tyler.... The Scubadillos out of north Dallas dive TSP every spring (Easter Egg dive) and every fall (Pumpkin Carvin'). I have participated a number of times. The diving at TSP is ok.... but that is about all i can say. There is nothing to see except a silt bottom so bring your own entertainment. Maximum depth is approx. 24 feet. It is a somewhat popular dive site with the folks in east Texas; although I suspect this is because it is water; not anything special.

In short, I wouldn't make a special trip to "just dive" TSP.... unless you bring your own Easter eggs, underwater checkers or pumpkins.

So is there any "real" info for diving TSP? There are two dive shops in Tyler, one says it's a "good" dive (vis 10- 12 ft usually) and the other says it's (always) a mudhole with 3 ft vis on a good day.

If by the term "real" you are looking for some "objective" evidence, the answer is no. If you want to believe the two dive shops in Tyler, I will agree with both of them. I have seen some visibility at TSP that is 10-12 ft. I have seen visibility that is 3 ft. It is a silt bottom. The silt bottom responds to all of the usual weather/wind/swimmer load/diver load stimuli that all silt bottoms respond to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom