Tying a regulator necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane

Contributor
Reaction score
I had a request for advice on tying a regulator necklace. After a few attempts at changing the camera angle, I came out with this wonderfully low-quality poorly-lit video of me tying a regulator necklace. :D

Thinking this might be helpful to anyone who has questions I decided to post it here on YouTube. Click that to go to the full webpage to watch the high(er)-quality video, or just watch the normal YouTube quality video below.

Note that I'm not here to debate whether or not we should use bungie or surgical tubing, or whether or not you should use this method or zip-tie it to your mouthpiece -- I think either will work equally as well. I've never had this method come undone accidentally; it can be tightened very tightly around the reg.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously you will need a piece of bungie, the length of which will vary depending on neck size and how far you prefer your backup reg to hang below your neck.

Holding the bungie so that each end is in each of your hands with the end in your left hand longer and further from your body, pass that end under your forefinger on your left hand and wrap it around your finger and the other end twice. Now remove your finger and pass the end through the hole created from removing your finger, from left to right. Tighten as necessary, and try to avoid leaving a large 'tail' leftover after tying the knot. Repeat on the other side. Put it on your reg and crank it down nice and tight. If anyone cares, this is a double fisherman's bend.

The knot should hold tightly but you should be able to change the size of the hole for the reg without too much effort. A little bit of friction but not impossible.

You might have to try a few attempts to get one exactly the right length. Cutting an inch off will make a big difference. Make sure the ends are melted so the cord won't unravel. :)

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

I had a request for advice on tying a regulator necklace. After a few attempts at changing the camera angle, I came out with this wonderfully low-quality poorly-lit video of me tying a regulator necklace. :D

Thinking this might be helpful to anyone who has questions I decided to post it here on YouTube. Click that to go to the full webpage to watch the high(er)-quality video, or just watch the normal YouTube quality video below.

Note that I'm not here to debate whether or not we should use bungie or surgical tubing, or whether or not you should use this method or zip-tie it to your mouthpiece -- I think either will work equally as well. I've never had this method come undone accidentally; it can be tightened very tightly around the reg.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously you will need a piece of bungie, the length of which will vary depending on neck size and how far you prefer your backup reg to hang below your neck.

Holding the bungie so that each end is in each of your hands with the end in your left hand longer and further from your body, pass that end under your forefinger on your left hand and wrap it around your finger and the other end twice. Now remove your finger and pass the end through the hole created from removing your finger, from left to right. Tighten as necessary, and try to avoid leaving a large 'tail' leftover after tying the knot. Repeat on the other side. Put it on your reg and crank it down nice and tight. If anyone cares, this is a double fisherman's bend.

The knot should hold tightly but you should be able to change the size of the hole for the reg without too much effort. A little bit of friction but not impossible.

You might have to try a few attempts to get one exactly the right length. Cutting an inch off will make a big difference. Make sure the ends are melted so the cord won't unravel. :)

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Nice! I like the way you dropped it at the end, as it couldn't be any more simple.:D

Several years back I TA'd for my original open water instructor at school. For whatever reason, one day I wasn't getting in the water so he asked if I would be willing to make these regulator necklaces for all of his sections.

Measure, cut, burn, tie...60 times...
You get good at it pretty quickly. :shocked2:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom