Two very lucky ladies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We don’t have anything but the news blurbs yet but there are two gals that just weren’t ready to go yet.

It’s in the county to the north of us. Seems that the gals drove off the road and turned turtle into a body of water. One gal somehow got out but the other was trapped inside.

Looks like there was just enough of the vehicle that was still above the waterline to give her an air pocket. Around 30 minutes later she was removed.

All our water is freaking cold right now so she may have shaken the vehicle apart. :D As of now we don’t know who did the rescue.

I don’t know if we will get more details or not but if we do I’ll post them.

These are the kinds we like to hear about and there have been two incidents in opposite ends of the country in a week.

Gary D.
:D

More info on Gary D’s story.
The two girls were sisters, 19 & 16 years old. The 19 year old was able to free herself and the 16 year old had gotten somehow twisted up in her seat belt. The car did end up going through about 6 inches of ice according to the paper. The car rolled at least one time and went down a 40’ embankment and come to a stop inverted in the inlet feeding Lake PendOreille. The car landed on an edge and the front two thirds was below water. She was twisted around and about half way in the back seat trying to get air. When the first LT. arrived he found the girl on her stomach on ceiling inside the car. It was the efforts of two Fire Departments, Sheriff’s divers, Medical and Med Star that flew her to Kootenai County Medical Center that saved her life. Well let’s not forget the grace of God and one tired Angel that was working over time. The 16 year old girl was released after being treated exposure.
The Fire Guy

A couple of very lucky girls indeed! I love to hear stories that end well... Not everyone is that lucky!

The is a great outcome. Just weeks before Christmas the family has received an incredible gift. Kudos to the rescuers and dive team members for a job well done!

Gary, when this story gets published in the local newspaper, can you give me a "heads up" as I would like to post the story on the SAR Diver forum I moderate, and the IADRS forum.

Regards,

Blades Robinson

NOTE: For those who are interested, the SAR Diver forum is online at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SAR-Diver
This is a moderated forum open to professionals only.

I GOT IT...

Young driver was trapped in icy water
Sandpoint teen waited 30 minutes for rescue from car
By Taryn Brodwater
Staff writer
December 4, 2006

SANDPOINT – A 16-year-old Sandpoint girl was trapped in her car up to her neck in ice-cold water for a half hour Monday morning as rescue workers struggled to free her from her partially-submerged car.

The teen, whose name police wouldn’t release, was driving on Sunnyside Road, about a mile off Highway 200 in Bonner County when she reportedly lost control of her car and slid off the slick road, the Bonner County Sheriff’s Office said.

Lt. Jim Drake said the car rolled at least once on the way down a 40-foot embankment, crashed through nearly 6 inches of ice and landed upside down in an inlet of Lake Pend Oreille.

The young driver was trapped but her 19-year-old sister, Chantel Whitley, freed herself from the car. A county road worker driving past the accident scene called authorities.

Drake, one of several emergency workers that helped free the younger teen, said the water was only about knee deep. But the car landed on an angle, and the front two-thirds was below water.

“She was tied up in her seatbelt, had twisted around and was about halfway into the backseat trying to get to air,” Drake said. “When I was there holding onto her, she was on her stomach” against the ceiling inside the car.

Deputy Phil Stella, the first officer on scene, worked with Drake, medics and crews from Northside Fire District and Sandpoint Fire Department to try to keep the girl calm as they worked to free her.

“She was panicking, shock had set in,” Drake said.

Sheriff’s Sgt. Geoff Rusho was one of the divers in the rescue and also helped a Med-Star helicopter land at the scene so the girl could be flown to Kootenai Medical Center, where she was treated for exposure and released, officials said.

Though some of the rescue workers were treated for exposure at the scene of the crash, Drake said no injuries were reported.

Monday’s accident was the second in a week in which a car landed in a North Idaho lake. Four people escaped unharmed Nov. 30 after the car they were in slid on an icy road and plunged into Fernan Lake in Kootenai County.

In light of the accidents, authorities are urging drivers to be cautious on slick roads.

If a car does end up in the water, it’s most important to stay calm, Kootenai County Sheriff’s Sgt. Matt Street said.

Street keeps a tool – a spring-loaded punch – in his vehicles in case he finds himself in a sinking car. The punch, or other tools, help break out car windows in emergencies to allow escape.

If the car doesn’t land in the water upside down, Street said it will likely take about 30 to 40 seconds before it is fully submerged.

“What I would plan for if I go in is to have the spring punch handy and try to remain calm,” he said. “Realize when the water hits you, it’s going to be cold. Let the vehicle settle, break the window out and try to swim to safety.”

Street warns people against staying in the car, waiting for a rescuer, or moving around inside the car trying to find an air bubble. The air pocket could disperse, he said.

His advice: Just get out.

some of these stories are amazing. thank god for ems

Let me give you a tip on winter driving.

Early this morning I stopped a guy in a CRX who was doing 59 mph on icy roads. The NORMAL speed limit is 45 under ideal conditions. But he went right through a clearly posted lit up stop sign at 19mph, which was the final straw. Due to the conditions it took me over a mile to catch him.

I get there and I’m handed a nice new vehicle registration, nice new Idaho driver’s license and an insurance card.

Now to make a long story short. He proceeded to tell me that driving fast on icy roads is safer than driving slow. Most vehicles have trouble stopping and not driving fast. His reason for not stopping for the stop sign was he didn’t want to slide on the ice. DUH!

So I say sign here and your court contact date is.

The moral to this story. His license plate frame was from a Riverside California and so was his insurance card. My guess is he has never seen snow but stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

I had another one that went through the same sign a few minutes earlier that I didn’t even try to go after. He was in a jacked up 4X4 short box truck with big sand tires. He slowed to 75mph to go through the stop sign. We will find him in the very near future.

People just will not slow down in nasty conditions. They think if there is a speed limit it is the speed limit 24-7-365.

Having a dozen or so less toddies and driving to match conditions would almost put us out of business. We do have some nasty roads but if your driving match’s the conditions they aren’t bad at all.

I think a North Idaho oil change is picking up another case of beer. :wink:

Gary D.

People are just crazy when the ice hits the roads. We ran into that a lot last week, because we're not use to having it here... I think tickets are the way to go.. press hard buddy, there's a lot of copies.

tickets are the way to go...unless you get pulled over

Back
Top Bottom