Two "newish" people

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi. I'm Duncan, my wife is Dawn. We're from Mesa, Arizona and both PADI OWD; with not much more than our cert dives on our logbooks. BUT ... last week we did our first ocean dive together, in the Kelp Forests in La Jolla Cove.

We're planning a dive trip to Puerto Penasco, BC in October. the water should be warm enough for us to bypass the wet suits, and we should have a chance to actually dive with seals (and, hopefully, no sharks).

We have no gear whatsoever except for mask/ snorkel/ fins/ booties. We're hoping we can get a decent wet suit and BC. We're hoping around 800 USD each, but don't know if that's feasible. Any suggestions, advice, words of encouragement, etc., would be great. We're a bit advanced in years to be just starting to scuba, but we're looking forward to some great dives and additional certification over the next couple of years.

Welcome Duncan & Dawn. I had a chance to dive out around La Jolla last summer. The dive in the kelp forrest was just amazing. If it helps, one consideration is to purchase used suits and bcds from a LDS or instructor. That is how I started out, and my suit and bcd are still just fine to dive with. The price is usually right and it's a good way to get into diving with your own equipment and also give yourself some time to see what other divers are using and what might work best for you. Anyway, have fun diving.

Maybe we can get a special Boeing group going...

and Welcome to the boards!
Do a search on the equipment you want to buy, and you can read many great feeds on the topics.

Ranz

welcome to the board Duncan Kunz:)

and a WARM Welcome from a Near by Cactus

Sorry I haven't spoken earlier but was stuck in a retention basin from the last rain..it is so tough to find a good near by dive site here in the all beach state....

as for your question about gear....What shop(s) are you familar with??

it is never to hot under water

Let us know how the seal dives go... some of us from New England are planning a group seal dive at the Isle of Shoals, and it would be interesting to compare notes!

Welcome to the board Duncan & Dawn. You should be able to find something pretty decent for that amount of $$. Have fun on your dive!
:snorkel:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom