Two Monterey CA Critters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Two things I've never seen before. Both were spotted around 10 feet near the shore-side of the pipe at San Carlos that points to the metridium fields.The first is a weight-belt sized creature. It had bright yellow margins both sides. Buddy thought it was dead, but I thought it was burrowing. Second creature is bigger than chitons commonly found in the area. Any thoughts?
IMG_1258.jpg
IMG_1275.jpg

The first image doesn't strike me as something alive; or, at least, an burrowing animal. Given its size, it looks more like the blade of some odd alga, than, say, a monstrous flatworm. The second image is a chitin, or the remains of one.If you're surprised by its size, take a look at a gumboot chiton, the size of a football, which are prevalent in the area . . .

Thank you, Bigbella for replying. Someone at REEF Facebook says the ribbon thingee is a nemertean, a worm, and told me the name of the chiton, a stenoplax conspicua. Amazing what you can find and learn from the sea and those who venture into it.

I have some doubts about that nemertean id. They can certainly be long; but I have certainly not seen one that color or the width of a weight belt . . .

Wow, that's the biggest nemertean that I've seen in the area. Just, wow . . . I stand corrected.

Any species on that? Couldn't find anything remotely that size in Intertidal Inverebrates of California . . .

I’m not really into the specific names, this was seen about a year ago in the middle reef area, I had never seen one before and posted it on Facebook or here and someone did ID it, just don’t recall what it’s called, saw another near the pipe 2 or 3 months ago. Sorry I can’t be more specific.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom